Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Bangai Cardinal Fish - Courtship, Spawning and Egg transfer caught on camera!
Hi Guys and Gals,

Was watching my tank and noticed that my Bangais were at it again. Determined to document the process, I ran for my camera. Luckely I caught the entire process on film. The fish with the shortened first dorsal spine is the male (relatively passive in the courtship). The shortened first dorsal spine was as a result of fighting with a conspecific when he was much younger. The female fish (initiates the courtship) generally remians behind the male and approaches him.
Once the eggs are laid and fertilised, the male quickly takes them into his mouth for brooding.
As far as I am aware, this is the first time the process has been caught on film.

Enjoy,
Chris.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
The false alignments are used to ensure that both fish are ready. The male releases sperm at the same time as the eggs are laid. Upon contact with sea water, the eggs swell and the sperm is drawn to the egg. The process is very fast and is probably why the full process from courtship to egg transfer is not often seen despite this species regularly reproducing in captivity. This is a reliable pair that is highly fecund.