News

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi MagicJ,

That is the way it is designed. Because the forum software is not full responsive, it is a bit time consuming to skin on its own, let alone a responsive design (which would mean a complete overhaul of the entire system). So, in order for this skin to work, it must remain as a fixed state and not a fluid one, which is why there is room on the sides.

Thanks.
I knew there would be a reason :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Interesting change! I like the minimalist look once in threads .... but not so keen on the front page layout, assuming that is as it is supposed to look (by the way, uploaded on tinypic due to proxy restrictions at work not allowing uploads to most sites including this one)

ai45.tinypic.com_scwf43.jpg

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi chimaera,

That is how the front page is meant to look like. The box's need to be spread out a little bit, but due to the way it is coded it is not an easy change to make. However, there may be a little trick to make them stand out more from one another.

Thanks.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I like the new interface, but prefer the old black logo.

But having typed this, I'm over it.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hope you don't take this as criticism as I know a lot of work goes into forum themes, but here are a few little suggestions on design (note I am not a designer per se, but feel I have an eye for it):

ai50.tinypic.com_4zz48g.jpg

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi chimaera,

Thanks for the feedback.

• Header - This is purely an SEO thing. It can not be taken down as it is a h1 header, and making it the same colour as the background will not make google happy. For the time being, it must stay.
  • Reduce Height - Completed.
  • Stretch - I am not sure what you mean by this?
  • Align - I am assuming you mean to align the search bar? If so, this will be done tonight.
It is always great to see members give feedback like this, and it is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I think he means that the avatar doesnt sit in with the space where you name and stats are, it hangs below it and looks a bit untidy. See below the difference, or make the stat section bigger to match
reefuge page 1.jpg

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi aussieant32,

It is done like that on purpose to give it a 3D effect. However, now that you mention it, it may look decent with some sort of shadow to make it look "stuck" onto the screen. I will look at this at a later point.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hi chimaera,

Thanks for the feedback.

• Header - This is purely an SEO thing. It can not be taken down as it is a h1 header, and making it the same colour as the background will not make google happy. For the time being, it must stay.
  • Reduce Height - Completed.
  • Stretch - I am not sure what you mean by this?
  • Align - I am assuming you mean to align the search bar? If so, this will be done tonight.
It is always great to see members give feedback like this, and it is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Very welcome and glad it is constructive!

the 'stretch' suggestion is more around the alignment of the search box ... I was thinking it might look neater if the breadcrumb and news banners stretched across the whole page and hte search sits beneath, but if the search aligned with the breadcrumb then it might look just fine as it is.

ant makes a good point I hadn't spotted. I see you are playing with shadow borders on the av as I type this ... will be interesting to see how it turns out.

And I think I preferred the header as it was with the dotted line across the entire page, rather than above the sub-menu ... but minor point.