Reef Discussion

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
Brightwell Liquid Reef
hey guys,

just wanted to know if anybody on here uses liquid reef by brightwell aquatics?

positive results?

want to dose my nano but dont want to do randy's recipe as i think fluctuations in such a small tank may be a concern.

cheers :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I dose it in my tank, seems to do the trick for calc and mag, and whatever else it has ... my tank likes it :)
Just dose Alk separately (which I buy pre prepared).

Reactions: MTG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I am sure there are cheaper ways to dose calc, but given this includes mag, strontium, and more, and my tank doses like 1ml per day, it doesn't cost much per year to use it and makes my life easier.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
I have a bottle of this which LFS told me to get when I first got my tank.

Havent really used it so far but have realised my Alk is low and calc is dropping as well.

I also have bottle of Brightwell Microbacter7.

are both of these something I should start using since I have them ? Also what is best for alk stabilisation ?

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
i use liquid reef and it does the trick. for alk i also use brightwell alk 8.3. both work for me. how many litres is your system?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
i found as soon as i started getting any good growth i would need half a bottle a week in an 80l tank, probably good for very low usage tanks, envy you being able to get away with 1ml a day!

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
i found as soon as i started getting any good growth i would need half a bottle a week in an 80l tank, probably good for very low usage tanks, envy you being able to get away with 1ml a day!
haha the benefits of a pico tank :P

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I use bicarb soda for Alk and Red sea foundation A (powder) for Calcium , I have never had to worry about Mag.
Also just started dosing red sea color A,B,C&D as needed .

Henry G

Oct 9, 2012
Brisbane
just out of curiosity, how are you determining "as needed" ?
ohh the eye method of course.

1. Dip uncleaned hand into the aquariums water column, about half way down
2. slowly rotate the index or pinky finger, no other.
3. 30 seconds later remove the chosen finger and press firmly against the eyeball, allowing full contact with the saltwater soaked fingertip.
4. Over the next few moments while in discomfort, feel for the following
- Stinging (Alch)
- Burning (Mag)
- Fizzing (Cal)
- Watering (Stron)

If any of the elements are missing, thus the reaction in your eye not being present. Dose accordingly then repeat the test until desired levels have been achieved.

:D

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I found I would test three diffeent times wth their iron and iodine kits and get three different results.

I would be careful with the RS program memory the iron level they were recomending is also mildly toxic to zoox, which is one of the reasons you get colour because the zoox denisties are stripped but in reality you are mildy posioning your corals.

BTW I used the RS reef range for most other aspects.