Reef Discussion

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Bta's What's With The Bubbles.
Over the last 14 months my green BTA has split and split,. I now have 7 clones in the tank plus a genetically different BTA that I was nursing (successfully) back from bleaching and shrinking to almost nothing. In fact the reason I got the first green BTA was to test the theory of zooxanthellae transferring from one anemone to another. Anyway that's not what this post is about. I'll record how we successfully brought the test nem back in the near future.

------------​

Over the years I've seen dozens of posts asking why BTA's do or don't bubble up. Because my nems spread out fairly evenly through the tank, I accidentally had the makings of an experiment. Average flow in my tank is approx 10,000 litres per hour and Initially the nems rarely bubbled up at all.

All my power-heads, return pumps and skimmer run off a remote control powerboard, it makes it easy to kill the flow for target feeding, cleaning, etc. I can only assume this all started because one of the kids accidentlaly sat on the remote control, anyway I walked into the room for the first time that day to see that all flow was off and had probably been off for 7 hours. All the nems were in various states of inflating their bubbles.

So I set up four powerheads and the return pump (return is to RHS of tank) on timers so that only one was on at a time, moving left to right across the tank, with each powerhead on for four hours at a time in left to right sequence with the return off. Then all the units incuding the return operating from midnight until 8am to stir everything up again.

This is not scientifically sound enough to draw any real conclusions and there was no control test. But it did appear that as flow increased near each nem it deflated, as flow moved away it inflated again. Just a thought to keep in mind, as I say there's no real proof of anything.

One day in the future I might set up a series of holding tanks similar to those horrible things most LFS keep siamese fighting fish in. If each compartment has its own flow without effecting the others, they all share a common water pool and a common strip light, it might work. It will have to wait until one of the kids moves out though because I would want to do this in a room without any external light entering the room. One cell (the control) would have constant flow with all others having different flow rates. Observing the results may shed further light on BTA behavior.

It's just an idea I wanted to throw out there. If anyone wants to try this experiment also, please let me know how you go.

images.jpeg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Interesting idea Ian.

I have seen BTA's on a natural reef where the bubbles were inflated but there was also significant water movement ...

I wonder if, in our systems, there is more than enough light to nourish the zooxanthellae. In a tank with lots of flow the tentacles are naturally moved around quite a bit so that all sides of the tentacles are exposed to the light i.e. all of the zooxanthellae within the tentacle receives sufficient light without the need to increase the surface area of the tentacle.

But, in a tank with little flow this natural movement of the tentacles doesn't occur. Some of the zooxanthellae don't receive sufficient light and the anemone begins to suffer - to compensate, the anemone expands the surface area of the tentacles by forming bubbles on the tips of its tentacles.

Just a thought ...

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Interesting idea Ian.

I have seen BTA's on a natural reef where the bubbles were inflated but there was also significant water movement ...

I wonder if, in our systems, there is more than enough light to nourish the zooxanthellae. In a tank with lots of flow the tentacles are naturally moved around quite a bit so that all sides of the tentacles are exposed to the light i.e. all of the zooxanthellae within the tentacle receives sufficient light without the need to increase the surface area of the tentacle.

But, in a tank with little flow this natural movement of the tentacles doesn't occur. Some of the zooxanthellae don't receive sufficient light and the anemone begins to suffer - to compensate, the anemone expands the surface area of the tentacles by forming bubbles on the tips of its tentacles.

Just a thought ...
I think you have a good point and a very tantalizing theory actually, it would make sense. It would also lend credence to that side of the debate which maintains that bubbles indicate unhappiness (sic). I doubt the happy word has any validity but it's an easy way to think of it.

I did notice during my dabbling (might mean nothing) that the skinnier the BTA tentacles got, the more the BTA moved them around itself. Of course when there is flow, you wouldn't know if the anemone is exercising control over its movement or not. You could postulate all sorts of things from it's trying to get more light, it's trying to catch food to make up for low light, that food catching is a normal thing that we don't notice in high flow, hell maybe it's trying to look sexy to get a bit - we'll never really know. :)

You often read that anemone don't need food and the zooxanthella create enough sugars to sustain the anemone. That may well be correct but who said that is the case? There is plenty of anecdotal stuff on forums and the like but remarkably little scientific study to back that up, at least that I've found. I have no doubt that the zooxanthella do exactly what is described, hell that's been proven by people with real brains. But is it all that's needed?

If true, why do clowns have an instinctive habit of feeding anemone? I've observed that behaviour in the wild while snorkeling in Fiji, Noumea, off the coast of Thailand and here on the barrier reef. So it's unlikely to be localised behavior.

We need the politicians to fund more of the brains to study these things. Especially in light of what we are doing to the planet.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
in other words, are we saying that bubbled up anemone is unhappy anemone (in comparison to stringy anemone)?