IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2572.JPG
IMG_2573.JPG
IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_2575.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2577.JPG
IMG_2578.JPG

The large one is roughly 2m long by 75cm wide and the smaller one is 75cm wide by 75cm long. I'll go into why I chose these sizes when I talk about the planning phases for the actual tank build (but essentially I maximised the tank sizes based on the glass sheets and acrylic sheets I purchased). I wanted my tanks to be as quiet as possible so I wrapped them all in marine grade plywood. Once wrapped I plugged every blemish in the wood with putty before sanding the cabinet to 180 grit (very fine) and making sure that every inch of the cabinet surface was perfectly level. The only thing on the cabinets that I wasn't impressed with was my jigsawing of the cabinet doors (I could have cut a bit straighter). Once the doors were attached I started making sure that inside the cabinet was completely sealed before applying a few coats of waterproof bright white paint.

Benjamin Benc

Jan 14, 2014
Wheelers Hill
My next post was going to be the colouring of the cabinet but I must have forgotten to take photos of the just the cabinets after I stained them in Australian Jarrah. You'll see the colour of the cabinets in later posts anyway.

Benjamin Benc

Jan 14, 2014
Wheelers Hill
Sam, the build is now complete and tank has finished cycling. I started in September 2013 commenced cycling in December. I'll see how these tanks go and then make plans for a 6m build. All feedback on these designs will be very welcome.

Benjamin Benc

Jan 14, 2014
Wheelers Hill
MagicJ, I'll try not to forget this for a later post but I did make a modification to the stand. I now have fresh cool air coming in from a duct in the ground and fans to direct the warmer/moist air out a ventilation duct higher up in the cabinet.

Benjamin Benc

Jan 14, 2014
Wheelers Hill
lol, I wasn't sure if anyone would pickup on the loo in the last pic :) I'll also be posting plans of the house but the aquarium room runs along the ensuite and my office. And "yes" we spend more time in the loo now :D