Reef Discussion

Cade Owners - Are you happy with the tank and have you modified it?

• Total voters

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Cade Owners Thread
I'm looking at the CADE tanks and to me it looks like the flow might be a little restricted and sump room, a little limited. Having said that I would really like opinions on the CADE as most owners seem to modify them.

I also hope that this thread might develop into a useful resource for others, opinions, questions & answers, etc. So what say you?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I agree with the sump space a little limited but then I think it depends on how big the DT is. Mine is 600 so if you ask me if I am happy with the sump, my answer is emmmm can be a bit bigger :)

But did I do any mods to it, I didn't simply because I like things out of the box and am no handy person and things that I mod tend to break easily (easier).

Apart from that, it's good. Good build, good quality of glass etc.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Very happy with mine.

I modified the overflow to be Herbie style, but looks like the new models come with it by default.

I think it will be pretty hard to find someone unhappy with these tanks, simply because they are simple and there isn't much room for mistakes.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I love mine, I'll be honest there's a few things about it I loathe and detest in a love-hate kind of way but overall I adore the tank. I have a HL600 but it's the old design which is why it has the bits I hate. The new design cade's have improved on everything that was annoying about the previous design. Overflow is properly done and silent with a backup, sump layout is better and the cabinet doors are full height rather than having a stupid cutoff!

The build quality, glass quality and just the general sizing and design of the tanks are really nice! The only downside is the price, they're bloody expensive haha but so are all the tanks like this so it's not really a huge factor in the end unless weighing it up against a custom build :)

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Yeah new models look fantastic, most issues resolved and some nice new features, I hear they have built in cabinet lighting now... Very cool.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Partly why I bought my CADE was because of the aluminium cabinet. I am over worrying about cheap cabinets and was looking for a quality cabinet. I also wanted a light weight cabinet.

For the price you get a good aluminium cabinet that hopefully will last forever. You get what I hope is a decent sump (I've never used a sump before so can't comment on them). You also get the display tank, which looks very nice.

I was looking at getting a custom built starfire 80x50x50 tank and was looking at paying about $750. Add maybe $200 for a sump? Then where do you get an aluminium cabinet made these days?

So, thinking about what you get for the price are they really that expensive?

If I could have gotten all this built in Australia I would definitely have spent up to one and a half times as much as I had spent on the CADE, but I couldn't find a cabinet maker that would do it and with some hassles I heard from people getting custom built tanks made, it was easy to settle on the CADE.

Does anyone know if they sell CADE in America or Europe? Perhaps they are sold under a different name? Would be good to find out cause I wouldn't be surprised if exactly the same setups are sold overseas and if so there might be a lot more people overseas who have experienced them and might give more comments about them.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I use the Continuum Scrapers, plastic for doing the overflow and the metal ones for Coraline/Stubborn algae.

I also have a Tunze mag scraper for quick/daily once over.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
If I could have gotten all this built in Australia I would definitely have spent up to one and a half times as much as I had spent on the CADE, but I couldn't find a cabinet maker that would do it and with some hassles I heard from people getting custom built tanks made, it was easy to settle on the CADE.
@Savage Henry where were you before Australia?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Hi guys, just a quick question on leveling the tank.

I have my tank sitting on tope of an old solid wood table top that extends out beyond the tank footprint. I am using this to spread the tank weight across three beams (I got under the house and mapped out where each beam is) and so the feet don't dig into the carpet.

I had adjusted the feet using the CADE spirit level as a guide. I am just now filling the tank for a quick freshwater test. I noticed after adding 100L that the depth of water at each corner is roughly the same, but at one corner it is out by 0.5cm.

So, the question is do you adjust the feet whilst the tank is full?

I did have a go at it just now and the feet are easy to turn with a 20mm spanner.

I think it's better I adjust the feet according to the water level at each corner rather than rely on the spirit level.

Also, what do you think is the maximum the tank should be raised on any foot? I have one foot raised by 1.5cm and the diagonal foot is not raised at all.

Also, I have one side where all the feet are raised by about 1 cm and was thinking that to reduce raising all these feet, I could put a long thin piece of solid wood underneath those feet?