Tank Journal Archive

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Can't Have All The Luck, All The Time (sigh)
Got home today, first stop was throwing new cushions on our bed, then into the kitchen to grab a drink.

Grabs drink out of the fridge, peeking round the side of the fridge door to say to myself "Hrmm, the ATO water got a bit of a bashing today, quite a bit lower than it was yesterday"

Shrugging it off, I walk around the corner to the Tank, looking down.

C.R.@.P! There's a little bit of wet carpet.

Open the cabinet door and yep, the sump is leaking - which is really frustrating, because it was wet when I purchased it and wasn't leaking. But maybe because it sat for so long (almost 12 months) before being filled again, it's seals have weakened. It was inside, but still.

So I drained it, pulled it out, dried it, razored off as much silicone from the areas I suspected are the issue and almost OD'd on the fumes of smothering it in so much new silicone, if the thing leaks, it doesn't want to be a sump afterall (sore loser)

If it leaks after 2 days, I will be getting a custom sump made.

The sad state of affairs tonight brings me:

awww.use.com_images_s_2_e7e473f707544f02e75c.jpg

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Oh. No. Nightmare. Hate these things happening. Sorry to hear hope repair works

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thankfully it doesn't appear to be a major disaster :rolleyes

Have you checked the salinity of the tank - there might have been a bit too much fresh water from the ATO.

E

ezza

We need to write a Fish Tank First Aid Guide. Full of scenarios and steps to follow to stop you panicking during a fish tank disaster!

Glad you didn't have too large a spill to deal with. I hope the carpet is ok!

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
We need to write a Fish Tank First Aid Guide. Full of scenarios and steps to follow to stop you panicking during a fish tank disaster!

Glad you didn't have too large a spill to deal with. I hope the carpet is ok!
2 Litres if I'm unlucky - it wasn't much at all, but when something happens I always make sure I think the whole situation through (that's what I call my state of panic - I stand there for a few minutes making decisions looking like I'm in a state of shock haha) before making a first step decision. I've seen many people make a bad decision only because they didn't think of the next step (just something as simple as grabbing towels first before trying to handle buckets of water, helps.

E

ezza

I've seen many people make a bad decision only because they didn't think of the next step (just something as simple as grabbing towels first before trying to handle buckets of water, helps.
Oh! You know my husband?!

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Any updates on the SOS procedures yet?

Hope all holds up well with no lasting damage!!

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
My re-seal was unsuccessful (I've never actually done one myself and really struggled getting it cut out with the terrible razors that I had - So in came my younger brother to save the day!

The night before last, he completely stripped ALL of the silicone out of the tank (shy of taking the plastics off it, it's a brand new tank) so will let it cure until he gets back from camping after the weekend, pop the baffles back in and do a test for another 3 days before I re-install it.

Better to be safe rather than sorry!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Damn it, I have a spare 5 gallon tank here I'd give you. How you manage panic determines the outcome of a stressful situation most of the time.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Lovely long-distance offer haha :) My Sump is actually 10 Gallons, it's identical to my old all-in-one tank that I started with, shame I gave mine away to a family friend (who hasn't even set it up - more than a year after he got it/wanted it) so I bought this one shortly after that, but it just sat for so long.

Pulling all the silicone out of it just shows the serious flaws in the design. Eventually I will get a custom cube sump made up, I know exactly what I want and need now, after doing this new set up (simple is best for me) so this only needs to get my by for 6 months now.

I plan on having one of those extra heavy duty black garbage/plastic bags fitted underneath the sump and slightly up the walls of the cabinet, JUST in case it fails, the water will seep forward out of the front of the cabinet and not under the sump - THAT didn't hake me happy, seeing that. I don't like any water anywhere but where it should be (I've seen lots of people not bothered by floods on their floors or in their cabinets - but it is HORRIBLE.

It should be re-installed in about another 4-5 days.