News

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
The Reefuge members have a habit of going off topic and hijacking posts.
That is precisely why I thought this was such a good Idea.

Also, sort of hoping you don't do this. Just a bit of an idea but it might put new-comers into a bit of a shy position. If their questions and what they have to say gets pushed to the back behind all the big guys it might make this place a bit intimidating. I know I'll certainly feel that way, however I already know the people on here won't just ignore anything, but you never know what might happen.
I agree with allira here. I think it would be easy to miss things when the first unread post is not really the first. Perhaps instead of "Go To First Unread" you could make it "Go To Next Unread" and could skip you from one unread reply to the next.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Also, sort of hoping you don't do this. Just a bit of an idea but it might put new-comers into a bit of a shy position. If their questions and what they have to say gets pushed to the back behind all the big guys it might make this place a bit intimidating. I know I'll certainly feel that way, however I already know the people on here won't just ignore anything, but you never know what might happen.
Hi Allira i think you are confused , the style is to organise replys not preference people with more posts etc
it just makes following reply's to a post much much easier to read.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
matt Allira was talking about not making the go to first button skip past "minor" replys to the first "major" reply, not about the style in general.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
This is great expample of where this style would work!

Another thought is how many replys fit on one page... When a thread starts to get long and there are a couple of different conversation points happening in different pages of the thread how is this going to affect trying to find different conversations in conversations?!? Its hurting my brain trying to turn these thoughts into words!

Reactions: MTG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
This is great expample of where this style would work!

Another thought is how many replys fit on one page... When a thread starts to get long and there are a couple of different conversation points happening in different pages of the thread how is this going to affect trying to find different conversations in conversations?!? Its hurting my brain trying to turn these thoughts into words!
i see exactly what you are seeing. :rolleyes

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
There is always a risk in changing the way people interact, and it's a pretty high risk. What one person sees as revolutionary, others will see as confusing, stupid and/or hard to use. Sometimes changes will go down very well; especially anything that adds new functionality.
Changing peoples interaction with something is however where the biggest risk is. It can also reap great reward.
Personally, I'm going to wait until I see it. I share the same concerns raised as above, but the only way to really tell is to use it.
I like change, but then I spend inordinate amounts of time dealing with people struggling to cope with changes imposed upon them and such experience always causes me to have serious concerns about the user experience when it starts to deviate too far from what people are used to.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

Concerns have been taken on board. I will try to make it as smooth as possible. I will not let it differ too much from what everyone is use to, but I will also allow new functionality to take place. So far (I hope), the track record has been good. I believe this will also go down well.

It will almost be exactly the same, but now posts will be in mini categories. This should, with any luck, suit 100% of the users.

Thanks.

allira

Jan 7, 2012
Lennox Head
Hi everyone,

Concerns have been taken on board. I will try to make it as smooth as possible. I will not let it differ too much from what everyone is use to, but I will also allow new functionality to take place. So far (I hope), the track record has been good. I believe this will also go down well.

It will almost be exactly the same, but now posts will be in mini categories. This should, with any luck, suit 100% of the users.

Thanks.
Good to know, can't wait! :)