Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Chemiclean Treatment
I've just done a Chemiclean treatment on the tank and completely removed the cyno outbreak I had.
The cyno, I think, was my own fault from recently trying to save a Lipstick Tang that wouldn't eat by trying every food under the sun and overfeeding the tank.
Anyway, Chemiclean works an absolute treat. Just one small dose and then a 20% water change 48hrs later.
The skimmer goes really nuts and will take a week or so to settle back down but otherwise everything in the tank is totally unaffected.
The question I have is, they say to remove stuff like Marine Pure and any carbon style reactors, which I did.
I'm just wondering how long before I can put them back in again with out damaging the media. Has anyone else used this treatment and how long before you put the media back into the sump.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I've just done a Chemiclean treatment on the tank and completely removed the cyno outbreak I had.
The cyno, I think, was my own fault from recently trying to save a Lipstick Tang that wouldn't eat by trying every food under the sun and overfeeding the tank.
Anyway, Chemiclean works an absolute treat. Just one small dose and then a 20% water change 48hrs later.
The skimmer goes really nuts and will take a week or so to settle back down but otherwise everything in the tank is totally unaffected.
The question I have is, they say to remove stuff like Marine Pure and any carbon style reactors, which I did.
I'm just wondering how long before I can put them back in again with out damaging the media. Has anyone else used this treatment and how long before you put the media back into the sump.
Once I did water change ( i did 2 X 20%) over 2 days I hooked all media back up without issues. It's great stuff used once on both tanks but should be fine. :)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Once I did water change ( i did 2 X 20%) over 2 days I hooked all media back up without issues. It's great stuff used once on both tanks but should be fine. :)
That's great, thanks for the info. I'll do another 20% tomorrow and throw the media back in.
I can't believe how well it cleaned the cyno out.

E

ezza

What is it about Cyanobacteria that Chemiclean is removing?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I have no idea. (which is pretty normal for me).
Apparently its able to target just the cyno and nothing else. However it does it, it does a brilliant job.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
That's great, thanks for the info. I'll do another 20% tomorrow and throw the media back in.
I can't believe how well it cleaned the cyno out.
I always mention I've used when I see people struggling with cyno. Usually get blasted for being lazy reefer and it's going to come back. It's hasn't. Lol

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I always mention I've used when I see people struggling with cyno. Usually get blasted for being lazy reefer and it's going to come back. It's hasn't. Lol
@somethingfishy76 put me on to it because he had complete success with it a year ago on a major outbreak and hasn't had a trace of it return.
I just did the second 20% change and put all the media back in - just waiting for the skimmer to settle.
I'm still amazed at the job it did.

Maybe the Treatment removes the carbon source...? I mean its been the experience of quite a few people that cyno starts after bio pellet addition, and by that I mean, too much and too quick. Its just a theory but I'm thinking the free carbon in the water is so plentiful that is allows dormant cyno to fire up.