Reef Discussion

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Copper Based Treatment Question
Hi all,

I bought a wild pair of occy clowns today from someone who has all their fish for sale in copper treated tanks.

I've diluted the water they came in by a few cups of salt water... Just wondering if I should just net them out and chuck them in the display... or keep diluting. Any tips would be helpful.

thanks!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I suspect a number of LFS's maintain a low level of copper in their tanks as a prophylactic.

Just another reason why you should never put the water in the bag into your display tank.

I suspect you have already dome something by now ;)

I usually double the original volume of water with tank water - empty half out and do the same thing - and then net the fish and put into the tank.

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Thanks MagicJ! Pretty much what I did. :) Glad it wont be much of a problem.

Does the copper treatment in the LFS (or normal quarantine tank) have a garlic smell?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What I used to do was to drip them in until 5x the original volume was achieved, then dip out the fish into a container of water from the tank and pour off most of the water then into the tank.

I rarely use a net, not even with lions, Foxface, tangs or stone fish, it causes more stress than it's worth. I have several large plastic catch cups for this and a cut down cheesy poof container for lions and stone fish. I also have a net handle that I attach bags to for capturing extra large fish.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I used to net out of the bags because will never add LFS water to my tank. But I also used to cause a lot of stress to the fish with the net.
So I now actually catch them with my hand and place them in the tank. Hubby holds the bag over the top of the tank in case they jump or slip from me. I have found it to be a lot easier and less stressful for the fish as well.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Get some small plastic totes Lesley and use those, they make some small ones that are about 30-40l in capacity.

Some dealers here in the US keep their copper just this side of toxic, especially for new arrivals. 60cc of that could have dire consequences if if it got into your tank. Moving fish into one of my tanks is a big deal these days, I'm not taking chances on ANYTHING getting past my defenses. After the Orange Skunks broke with that Red Sea Ich and I lost 2 tanks in the shop I'm not taking any chances. I don't want to see anyone get their tank poisoned by copper or any disease get through.