Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Coral Spawn
After reading this thread yesterday, and watching the video from Sustainable Reefs, I just happened to be walking past my tank last night and noticed something small, round, and ultra orange fluorescent floating in the tank. My fish mouthed it a few times before I was able to catch it for a closer look. Because of the colour, I thought it was a ricordia pup that had come loose from the rock but, upon closer inspection, it clearly was an egg.

I only have a goniopora, a couple of fungia's and a couple of trachyphyllia's but I'm not sure which one spawned, or if there were any other eggs that the fish might have eaten.

Hopefully, the florescence shows up in these photo's
Coral-Egg-1.jpg

Coral-Egg-2.jpg

And, one from the microscope
Coral-Egg-3.jpg

I am fairly sure that this is a coral egg, but I am happy to hear of any other suggestions.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Looks like a coral egg to me. The only thing I've ever had spawn is leather corals and they can make your skimmer go ABSOLUTELY bonkers. I don't think we're very far away from collecting coral spawn and growing them out so we can say that it truly is captive bred. What an exciting time we live in. Just think, 30 years ago we were struggling to keep LPS alive, now we have SPS spawning in our tanks.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Looks like your set up experienced some event there mate. Nice!!!
Now show me the rest of the FTS - I am not talking about milli , micro , nano , picco / I want the FTS just like @MTG shared with us a day or two ago. :D

Reactions: MTG

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
You prob remember this
But we had an sps spawning
Was incredible to witness

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
You prob remember this
But we had an sps spawning
Was incredible to witness

Holy cow, i'm new here so i dont remember that. That is awesome.
I've said it once before, your tank is beauty and that is testament to that