Reef Discussion

Oak Park-VIC

Sep 4, 2013
Deltec Or Rlss Protein Skimmer???
I am looking at purchasing a new or 2nd hand protein skimmer- but can NOT decide which one to go for...

I have been given a couple of brands that seem to operate in a silent and very efficient manner...

The brands i have been recommended are DELTEC and RLSS...

I have read some of the reviews and everyone seems to like these two brands...Not much in the way of NEGATIVITY on them-except the cost of the DELTECs.

I would be looking for internal style skimmer that is rated at 1000+ litres and hour... Initially to use on my 4x 2.5x 2.5 then to use in an upgraded DT of 6x 2.5x 2.5...

As i respect the opinions and views of the members of this forum i would love to receive your thoughts and feedbacks PLEASE!!!

I can also be interested in a 2nd hand unit that someone might have and not using-providing it runs silent and works effectively....

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I have an RLSS R6-i skimmer and I love the thing! It runs dead silent, you seriously cannot here it! My tunze osmolator pump is louder to give you a perspective on it. It also runs brilliantly :) Pulls heaps of gunk and is dead simple to maintain, empty and clean! Has a 10min feed timer to turn the pump off and the speed of the pump (DC waveline) is variable too. Small form factor considering the size of the unit and it's power, tall though :) That's just my 10cents worth, ask any questions if you have them

Oak Park-VIC

Sep 4, 2013
Thanx @Wrangy... i think i would be looking at the least of a R8-i but then there are the other ones around DB8-i (i dont know anything about those-if they are an upgrade or what the difference are)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Yeah R8-i would be much better, I have a much smaller tank so I went the R6 :) As for the difference between the R and the DB models I have no idea bar them looking different, no help there sorry haha

Oak Park-VIC

Sep 4, 2013
No more write ups for me??? Come on guys i thought we could do better than this....just personal experiences and/or opinions...PLEASE!!!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I've never used either so can't add anything - as far as I know Deltec are just better overall builds hence the price tag. @mattalbs just got himself a RLSS skimmer for his new larger set up so perhaps he could add something?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
From a personal point of view, go the RLSS.
Yes the first pumps were shit & did fail. The 5000Ltr pump in our RLSS lasted 4 months maybe?
It got sent back to Sydney & we got the same pump back. It's been running well since then with no problems.
We got the RLSS-10i which has replaced 2X Reef Octopus Beckett 2000's & handles the over stocked tank we have.
Deltec make good gear, can't deny that & wouldn't try, but really, worth the price tag?
Pick a good one up second hand & I can justify it, but each to their own.
Having never owned a Deltec I can't comment. :)