General Diatoms

Discussion in 'General Reef Related Discussion' started by ryan1986, Apr 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. ryan1986

ryan1986 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Australia
    State:
    victoria
    I know diatoms are natural at the end of a cycle, my question is do you need a clean up crew to remove it or will the diatoms just go away after some time. Just can't remember.
    Also local aquarium I bought RO water from today said I need 70-140 snails/ hermits/ shrimp etc as a clean up crew.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,617
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    I wouldn't go back to that aquarium, sounds like they are full of it!
    Usually as your initial cycle is coming to an end you would add some cleanup crew. I would just go for 10 - 20 snails. I like Turbos, Trochus and then maybe a Strombus or two. The turbos will breed like crazy anyway.
    Once they start doing their job and algae calms down a little you can add a couple of easy to keep corals (softies). Then once things are looking ok for a few weeks then you could add one or two small fish.
    Shrimps can be added if you like but I would just stick with the snails for now.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. ryan1986

ryan1986 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Australia
    State:
    victoria
    Being dead rock I did cycle with I have no algae except the diatoms. Yer I thought 70-140 in a brand new just cycled tank was excessive, thought most would starve and die.

I understand in a mature system with natural algae on rocks and stuff Yer the population could grow to that level over time.

I may leave it for a few weeks before I bother the diatoms don't worry me.
  4. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,617
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    You will find as your cycle progresses you might get a few different algaes. Don't be surprised if when the diatoms disappear you get some hair algae.
    • Like Like x 4