Reef Discussion

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Diatoms
I know diatoms are natural at the end of a cycle, my question is do you need a clean up crew to remove it or will the diatoms just go away after some time. Just can't remember.
Also local aquarium I bought RO water from today said I need 70-140 snails/ hermits/ shrimp etc as a clean up crew.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I wouldn't go back to that aquarium, sounds like they are full of it!
Usually as your initial cycle is coming to an end you would add some cleanup crew. I would just go for 10 - 20 snails. I like Turbos, Trochus and then maybe a Strombus or two. The turbos will breed like crazy anyway.
Once they start doing their job and algae calms down a little you can add a couple of easy to keep corals (softies). Then once things are looking ok for a few weeks then you could add one or two small fish.
Shrimps can be added if you like but I would just stick with the snails for now.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
I wouldn't go back to that aquarium, sounds like they are full of it!
Usually as your initial cycle is coming to an end you would add some cleanup crew. I would just go for 10 - 20 snails. I like Turbos, Trochus and then maybe a Strombus or two. The turbos will breed like crazy anyway.
Once they start doing their job and algae calms down a little you can add a couple of easy to keep corals (softies). Then once things are looking ok for a few weeks then you could add one or two small fish.
Shrimps can be added if you like but I would just stick with the snails for now.
Being dead rock I did cycle with I have no algae except the diatoms. Yer I thought 70-140 in a brand new just cycled tank was excessive, thought most would starve and die.

I understand in a mature system with natural algae on rocks and stuff Yer the population could grow to that level over time.

I may leave it for a few weeks before I bother the diatoms don't worry me.