Reef Discussion

distilled water and rain water
hey guys and girls i just want to know dose anyone use distilled water or rain water to put in there tank? i really dont want to use tap water anymore after reading about copper in tap water and how bad it is for your tank, just would like some info is all thxs for any help :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
RO or RODI,
no to distilled tap water,
rain water can be used but it depends on age of the tank, what the tanks built out off. water quality of the rain water etc. id stick to RO

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Distilled water is often made through copper pipes=not worth taking a chance

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Some LFS sell RO water but won't that work out more expensive in the long run than getting your own filter/ Also you wouldn't know how old their membranes are=see your pm as well

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
A LFS should sell Ro/Di water. Provided they stock marine that is. Other then that you could try make a titanium boiler/distiller but that's big bucks. Might as well fork out for a filter from Psifilters.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Bit the bullet and buy an RODI unit (PSIFilters - 2 thumbs up) you won't regret it - perfect water every time.
When I started I was buying RO water from the LFS @ 50c per L, then I bought my own RODI unit and used the tester that came with it to test the water I was buying - it was the same reading as my tap water. So be wary of what you buy!!!

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Just a side note. I sell demoralized water and on bottle it states not for medical use or human consumption. So I don’t think I would put it in my tank. I use rain water with no ill affects.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Water with no morals??? :confused:
It gets shouted at and put down lol.Yeh josh I know its a pain,as I was in the same boat.We simple folk who live in the country don't have access to a thousand lfs,so save your penny's and go for a ro unit.If your heading through one day,bring a container and ill give you some.Just let us know how much and what time.

Sent from someone who tries to care.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Just a side note. I sell demoralized water and on bottle it states not for medical use or human consumption. So I don’t think I would put it in my tank. I use rain water with no ill affects.
Just for my own curiosity, if this water is not for human consumption what is it used for?

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
I work in an automotive parts shop. We sell it for cooling systems and people use it to wash cars as it has no minerals in it so it does not leave marks on paint if you don’t chamoi the vehicle.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I work in an automotive parts shop. We sell it for cooling systems and people use it to wash cars as it has no minerals in it so it does not leave marks on paint if you don’t chamoi the vehicle.
I can understand using it for the cooling system but for washing cars :rolleyes

It gets shouted at and put down lol.Yeh josh I know its a pain,as I was in the same boat.We simple folk who live in the country don't have access to a thousand lfs,so save your penny's and go for a ro unit.If your heading through one day,bring a container and ill give you some.Just let us know how much and what time.

Sent from someone who tries to care.
thxs so much mat you have allway been a life saver;) ill send you a pm