Reef Discussion

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I do and did it with my last tank....well almost.
My last tank was 5/6 years old when i had to dismantle it.
Once the tank hit about 3 years I struggled to keep detectable nitrates and P04 was always between 0.02-0.04 .
In order to increase nitrates I stopped doing WC.
I only did WC maybe 10% every 6 months only to clean out the shallow sand bed.
I dosed Zeo products with trace elements.
I kept an eye on all parameters.
I also had a sh!t load of base rock for natural filtration.
The tank looked great with the best colour from my SPS.
On my new tank I have been doing 10% every week and I have now started to have the same problem with low nitrates. I am now considering not doing WC again.

I have included some pics of my SPS at the time...shame that don't look like that now :(

Attachments

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Totally believe in the system as there is a whole community doing it, just look at the tank of the inventor of this system! ;).
However just consider if you are willing to never miss a test to top up and additive.
For me its just so easy to do a water change with NSW that this isn't even a consideration (i will admit i did look at the system though as no water changes did catch my attention)

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Totally believe in the system as there is a whole community doing it, just look at the tank of the inventor of this system! ;).
However just consider if you are willing to never miss a test to top up and additive.
For me its just so easy to do a water change with NSW that this isn't even a consideration (i will admit i did look at the system though as no water changes did catch my attention)
I'm assuming the inventor is Glenn? He said he no longer test everything, only because he knows his system in and out lol.

What a reefing life!

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
I'm assuming the inventor is Glenn? He said he no longer test everything, only because he knows his system in and out lol.

What a reefing life!
Yeah that would be him.
I would be too scared of getting out of balance, but if i lived in Alice Springs i might give it a shot.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
It's one of those things where by, why would you till water or salt gets super expensive or difficult? A bit like cars, people won't embrace electric cars until fuel goes to like $5-$10 a liter.

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
It's one of those things where by, why would you till water or salt gets super expensive or difficult? A bit like cars, people won't embrace electric cars until fuel goes to like $5-$10 a liter.
Not True, when i get my Mustang i'll never embrace electric cars ... EVER (i'm not getting a mustang btw, would like one but the CFO has other ideas)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If I had access to NSW on a regular basis I'd be doing constant water changes. I do 20l in most systems, 40 in the larger ones. The coral runs and fish systems at the shop only get top up because of shipping. If it's working for you, then keep doing what works for you.