Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Does Anyone Dose Randy's Recipe?
Does anyone does Randy's? And if so do you auto or manual dose?
The only reason I'm asking is because of the dosing of the Alk component, which is supposed to be added to some RO water before being added to the tank to stop any precipitation.
I've been auto dosing the Alk into the refuge at the back of the tank which I gather is precipitating but doesn't flow through to the DT. So I'm just wondering if there is a better way.
Any thoughts?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I auto dose it in the return compartment of the sump. You could also dose in to a high flow part of the tank like near a powerhead.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I auto dose it in the return compartment of the sump. You could also dose in to a high flow part of the tank like near a powerhead.
What he said!

I use a syringe and squirt it into the powerhead or return section in the sump, which in my case has very high flow...

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Its probbaly wrong but I dose all three into my sock (at different times). I run a nylon sock though and never get any alk precip caught in there. I think its about the qty you dose as well, I dose mine 8 times during the day.

I do know what you mean though, as I did put 150ml into my 25l NSW reservoir once and it instantly turned to snow flakes....

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Yeah, I do the same. I dose each of the components at least 2 hrs apart and in a couple of small doses each time during the day. I've now directed the Alk dosing hose into the outlet of the skimmer which is the strongest flow in the refuge and all seems OK.
It's surprising how much snow it can make. :eek

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Not that I think it makes any difference however as alk raises Ph dosing 2 hours after lights out through to mid morning is probably a good time. Afternoon period with lights on the Ph is naturally rising to a peak.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
My dosing pump doses 8 minutes apart by default. I think each dosage is split to 22 dosages.