Tank Journal Archive

Pierre

Aug 6, 2015
Doing My Homeworks
Hi Reefuge community.

I'm quite excited I found an Aussie forum with such a great group of members. (I've been reading this forum inside out for a while). I landed here following the tank journal from Neil (Saltwater Conversion) and who's probably the main reason of my tank choice after seeing his incredible work.

So I'm in the preparation phase where I'm studying, learning as much as possible in order to start my very first journey in the hobby. Scary and exciting.
I'm running a very simple Fluval Edge 23L tropical already, and it will be my side project when I will be started on the nano reef.

My initial set up:

- Fluvial Edge 46L
- Marine Pac 3 Pre ordered from Neil
- Nano doser for Vodka (Optional) I would use probably if needed after 6 months or so.

IMG_2508.JPG

It will be a while until I receive my MP3 from Neil, so I'm using this time to do my homework. I really liked the article "
HOW2REEF: The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium".
My main LFS is Pet City (QLD) and they have a great staff you can ask about anything (even if they don't like the Fluvial Edge :))
I'll check out Aquarama and Reef Saver on the week end.

My LFS will have some Live Rocks ready in a week or so, and I will start to work on the landscape option then. I'm looking at 5-6kgs of it as it would be a good ratio for the size of the tank.

I plan to set up the tank with some LPS and softies as they would be easier to handle for a first timer in the hobby.
I will probably go with a pair of clowns.

I plan a mix of ASW and NSW from my LFS (I don't plan to get my own ROI system at this stage).

I'm doing some research for the tank controllers as I really like the Bluefish system (will get it for the lights anyway) and the next upgrade for it (relays, sensors, and an automatic feeder are planned). I feel like the Apex system is a big equipment for a small tank like this in comparison (big discussion on many sites about it).

I would love to work on the DIY ATO made by Neil from Saltwater conversion, as I would love to have a tank that allows holidays without a support crew.

I'm taking things slow and will post some updates regularly as I'm going through the project (pick your brain too).

Thanks.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi @Pierre :welcome

It's good to see you getting the upgrade from @Neillw - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

How are you planning on topping up evaporation?

There are a few members in Brisbane who do some regular trips around the various LFS's - you might like to join them on their next trip ?

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Welcome Pierre!

I started about 3 months ago using this forum. It has become an indispensable tool, with great people with first hand, real life knowledge!

The fluval edge is such a nice tank design and I cannot wait to see how it goes!

Pierre

Aug 6, 2015
Hi @Pierre :welcome

It's good to see you getting the upgrade from @Neillw - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

How are you planning on topping up evaporation?

There are a few members in Brisbane who do some regular trips around the various LFS's - you might like to join them on their next trip ?
Thank you for the welcome

At the moment, I will do a daily top up with some fresh RO water from my LFS. I will look into the automated option next and probably pick @Neillw brain for the best option.

I saw the trip to the local LFS on the forum from last week and it sounds fun. I'll tag along if I can next time :).

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
:welcome
Welcome! Will be watching your build closely as I love the fluval tank with Neil's awesome products.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thank you for the welcome

At the moment, I will do a daily top up with some fresh RO water from my LFS. I will look into the automated option next and probably pick @Neillw brain for the best option.

I saw the trip to the local LFS on the forum from last week and it sounds fun. I'll tag along if I can next time :).
Only too happy to have another reefer on our crawls - welcome to the Reefuge :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Welcome to the Reefuge , amazing place to learn. Ask away,
Just one rule is - lots of photos. lol
good luck and will be watching with interest.

Pierre

Aug 6, 2015
Thank you for the warm welcomes.

I already have a question.

I went to my LFS this week end to check on their new batch of live rocks and the new corals.
They have their Live rocks in a tank with their own media going. You can actually purchase the rocks + the used media (1 month old) to put directly in your tank.
They are confident that by doing that you actually should cycle your tank within a week and get your fish almost straight after.
Also, they suggested that with the pick up of their live rocks, I don't really need any live sand (why paying more when your rocks are already generating enough bacterias) but dry sand rather.

From your experience, could it be any issue by using this strategy to get your tank likely fully cycle within a week and start to add corals + fish within 2 weeks from getting the tank wet?

Everything it's obviously based on accurate water testing done prior to do anything.

Thank you for your comments.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
If the rock or media is out of the water while you transport it you will get die off.
Also dry sand is fine. I think live sand is a bit of a gimmick anyway.

The worst thing you can do is rush things. I would not recommend adding fish or coral so soon. Just let your tank cycle normally and then add fish when its ready :)
Two weeks will seem like nothing in the long run.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hmmm . . . follow the advice on here @Pierre . . . we're no trying to sell you anything.
I find a good tip with buying live rock is to give it a smell, if it's quite rank it's still really fresh. Try and pick some that has lost most of it's smell it will help speed up the cycle slightly. But still, take your time, only bad things happen fast.

Pierre

Aug 6, 2015
Thank you guys for your feedback.
I'm in no rush. Being patient is part of the hobby and I already understand that. I was kind of surprised that a LFS will try to get you some shortcuts like that.

At the end of the day, I understand the rule #1 of reefing: You're keeping water!

So I will use your tip about the smell, it's quite clever. I also will have to play around with the rock and "reshape" them slightly to get a set up I like and most of all, fit through the small access of the Fluval edge :).

I read a lot about rock shaping, but I feel quite undecided about the best way to get the rocks together. The epoxy option seem a lot harder than just the superglue (or reef glue). I'm using only a small amount rock and I want to achieve a nice scape along with a nice water flow in the tank (trying not to add an extra pump if possible).

Do you see any issue with the idea of working the scape outside the tank and then assembling it in the tank by gluing the pieces together? (meaning that it would be unlikely I would be able to remove the rocks in the future unless I break them)
Moving the tank comes in mind with this decision.

Cheers.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I was kind of surprised that a LFS will try to get you some shortcuts like that.
It's good to research anything your LFS says to you before you make any decisions. Most of them are out to make money and if a bit of bad advice makes them money then they won't hesitate.
But there are a few good stores out there that actually offer good advice and care for the well being of the animals they are selling. You just need to find them :)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thank you guys for your feedback.
I'm in no rush. Being patient is part of the hobby and I already understand that. I was kind of surprised that a LFS will try to get you some shortcuts like that.

At the end of the day, I understand the rule #1 of reefing: You're keeping water!

So I will use your tip about the smell, it's quite clever. I also will have to play around with the rock and "reshape" them slightly to get a set up I like and most of all, fit through the small access of the Fluval edge :).

I read a lot about rock shaping, but I feel quite undecided about the best way to get the rocks together. The epoxy option seem a lot harder than just the superglue (or reef glue). I'm using only a small amount rock and I want to achieve a nice scape along with a nice water flow in the tank (trying not to add an extra pump if possible).

Do you see any issue with the idea of working the scape outside the tank and then assembling it in the tank by gluing the pieces together? (meaning that it would be unlikely I would be able to remove the rocks in the future unless I break them)
Moving the tank comes in mind with this decision.

Cheers.
I don't do a lot of gluing, mainly for the simple reason of changing my mind (or is it the reason of changing my simple mind).
Anyway, I try and find rock that will lock together quite securely with just a bit of shaping and still give the desired result. That way you have something that can be rearranged or moved down the way.

Pierre

Aug 6, 2015
Thank you for your replies. I like the suggestions :).

I have a basic question. Since I've ordered the Marine Pac 3 (sump) from @Neillw, do I have to wait for it before starting my tank cycle? I won't add any coral or fish or anything else for that matter. Maybe CUC if the parameters are right, but that's it.
I was thinking of using the current system to do the cycle and use the media I will use in the MP3 anyway?

I've seen some people doing that and I wonder if there is any issue with it?