Reef Discussion

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Dropsy
Just wondering if anyone has ever had any of their fish get dropsy?
I have a blue devil damsel that has contracted this disease and in QT at the moment and have no idea why. Pop eyes, bloated, , pale and scales standing on edge... it looks like a pine cone. Pretty sure it is too late to save, probably karma for its 2 years of torment to new arrivals and tank mates!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
You have described the symptoms of dropsy.
Dropsy is caused by poor water quality and can be linked to poor diet.

It is not worth treatment as internal organs are damaged.

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
You have described the symptoms of dropsy.
Dropsy is caused by poor water quality and can be linked to poor diet.

It is not worth treatment as internal organs are damaged.
Any advice on how to improve water quality and fish diet ?
I do 10% water changes every week, ro di water, periodic filter and resin changes on the unit, feeding ocean nutrients mysis and lobster eggs.
And keep my parameters solid at
Temp 25-26°
SG 1.024
KH 8
Ammonia 0
NO2 0
NO3 <1.0
PO4 <0.2
Cal 420
Mag 1300
Strontium 10
All tested with salifert kits

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Col81 your water parameters look fine.

Dropsy is a bacterial infection and could have been bought on by some type of stress factor - as there been any issues with your tank recently?

How is the fish today?

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
The damsel was in a bad way this morning so i put it out of its misery... by the time it emerged from deep in the live rock last night I believe it was too far gone, considering I just reached in and scooped it out.
One issue does come to mind... my youngest son had turned off the chiller about three weeks ago... I recall looking at the tank thinking hmmm the anemones look rather small today... so does the LPS...strange ...:eek the chiller is off :banghead ....32°! Its possible it was off for a couple of days.