Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Dumb Question Incoming!
Will running phosphate media in a bag in the sump or reactor inhibit coralline algae growth?

The only thing elevated in my tank to date is Phosphate 0.1 to 0.25 according to the Salifert test - water change helps slightly but not much.

The LFS has suggested putting a small amount of continuum captiv.phos W in a mesh bag in the sump until I sort out a reactor size that will fit.

Is this a viable short term solution?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Purigen comes in a bag
Activated carbon needs no reactor. What I am getting at is your short term solution will work but may not perform to the standard of the manufacturer.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
My tank runs around .1 for the last few months, I have had an absolute coraline explosion to the point where its annoying, growing on the glass etc.
I put this down to having a dosing pump where alk/calc/mag is now very stable.

The difference between .1 and .25 is huge, maybe try a hanna or red sea kit. It could be lower than you think.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
My tank runs around .1 for the last few months, I have had an absolute coraline explosion to the point where its annoying, growing on the glass etc.
I put this down to having a dosing pump where alk/calc/mag is now very stable.

The difference between .1 and .25 is huge, maybe try a hanna or red sea kit. It could be lower than you think.

i have just ordered a hanna ultra low phosphorus checker to see what the true levels are..
hopefully should have a clearer picture by the end of the week, thanks for the info though, i really need to get the phosphate down to keep it growing, thats what i needed to know

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Did you order the Hanna phosphorus or the phosphate checker - there is a big difference.
Apparently the phosphorus checker gives a more accurate reading of your phosphates but you need to use the chart to calculate the phosphate reading from your phosphorus result. Also the reagents are different.
I have and use both checkers.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
the phosphorus because it gives a true indication of whats in the water column, not whats been left over after it's converted and then bound in algae.

at least thats how i understood it.

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Have a read of the Redfield Ratio. It will help you understand C:N:P - it's not all about the absolute low number but having things in balance. Higher values of each in balance are actually better than lower values out of balance.