Tank Journal Archive

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Ecotech Quiet Drive Upgrade
As I have mentioned in another entry - I am in love with the MP10wQD.

So much so, that I got in touch with Aqua Blue and ordered the ES to QD upgrade, the RF module and a new wetside for about $200 delivered. It works out about ~50% of the full unit cost so not a bad option at all in my mind. I think the controller upgrade was only about $80 from memory.

IMG_0738.JPG

The instructions were clear, simple and the whole job took all of 10mins (including taking photos)

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

As I have said before, these things are soooo quiet, even with a >5yr old dry side on the original unit. Plus with both units running in Reef Link the tank has move than enough movement for the next few years. At some point if the stars align and I have a tank full of SPS I may need to replace one with a MP40. Now all I want is a Vectra M1 and I am set :cum

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Just wondering where you purchased the upgrade from? Ecotech website only seems to be able to ship within the US?

Cheers.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
@grimnir yeah it was an after thought I had once I bought them - thankfully the side glass is only thicker on the 450 not the 350. I still think the MP40 would have been a better long term choice, but I got the two MP10wQD's for less than one of them. I do believe I have read somewhere that the QD's have better bearings and magnets than the older ES drysides. The QD does mount better than the ES/QD combo side.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
any comments on the difference in noise with just the driver and wetside replaced?
To be honest the noise is so slightly higher I may be imagining it. Or it could be that it is a 5+yr old dry side o_0

The only difference I can confirm is that the newer wet/dry side combo has a much stronger magnet pair than the old/new combo.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Sorry, I may have been a bit confusing - the new driver does make the dryside a lot quieter than it was, it is slightly louder than the new wetside though. Hope that makes more sense!