Tank Journal Archive

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Engineer Gobies & The Result Of Neglect
Overlapping with the week that my seahose Mr Ed passed on from GBD, I had a shipment of imported fish due to arrive from Wonderfish, an online business that is now closed down. I had on order 2 pairs of juvenile Engineer gobies - they make a peaceful, hardy and elegant alternative to eels. I had prepared for their arrival by removing the crushed shell substrate from the tank and replacing it with sand, as well as adding a pipe network under the sand to provide them with burrows, which they ignored completely :p

Here they are with their brothers and sisters during their time at Wonderfish:
The first pic shows how they resemble a poisonous catfish - this keeps them from being consumed by predators.
juvenile convict blennies.jpg

And this photo shows the mottled adult pattern beginning to form. I got them soon after this.

juvie convicts mottling.jpg

On arrival, they paced the tank for 2 days and were quite unsettled. They were still in a semi pelagic stage so it was not surprising that they didn't take to burrows straight away. It was at this point that one of them jumped from the tank during the night and I was left with 3. This was a huge blow, as Wonderfish had carefully selected the juveniles that had paired up for me and I had hoped that a few years down the track I might have a spawning event from them. Put screens over your tanks!! It is worth going to the trouble.

The remaining pair took up residence on one side of the tank, and the single Engineer Goby on the other. For quite some time this seemed ammicable, however once the pair reached full maturity and started sparring with one another, the single engineer goby suddenly disappeared. I had seen signs of aggression leading up to this, locking mouths and tumbling slowly together, but as it only occurred when the single engineer entered the pairs burrow and they got along well outside of that I didn't take any action. It's amazing how a 1 foot long fish can simply disappear overnight leaving no trace. Clean up crew can be incredibly efficient.

I feel quite confident in saying that the two pairs would have coexisted quite peacefully had not one been lost and stacked the odds against the lone fish.

I have few pictures of them, but going backwards a little, here they are half grown:
DSCF5884.jpg

engineer 2.JPG

engineer1.JPG

Engineer gobies are shy fish - mostly you would not know they were in the tank except for a little face looking out at you from beneath the rocks and occasionally venturing out - giving you a glimpse of their beautiful rippling fins and long bodies. They have a voracious appetite, and each fish will happily take an entire cube of frozen mysis each per day in one bite.

They also made a snack out of a pair of yellow gobies I had and will take the occasional small invertebrate if they feel a bit peckish.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Some other residents in the tank. I was mostly interested in fish at this stage and added pairs of different fish to the tank, hoping to see spawning behaviour. Most of the fish did well and were either passed on or kept for the rest of their lifespan, but some died, mostly at the hands of the other fish from mistakes or difficulties in introducing them to each other:

Gorgonian with a snack perched on top.
gorgonian.JPG

Another gorgonian - I got obsessed with these for a little while.
gorgonian polyps.JPG

I tried to keep some more unusual things without long term success, such as this Medusa coral and large fan worm.
DSCF5849.JPG

feather duster.JPG

This Klyxum soft coral was to become the star of the tank and is why I ended up with not that many corals in the tank for some time, as it grew to one foot wide. It was the only coral I lost when I moved house and didn't respond well to being moved. I'm not sure what I could have done differently even now.
klyxum.JPG

For @firebird - here is the only pic of I have of the 3 mandarin fish I kept (1 was killed by this female). I have learnt a lot about keeping these fish and will write a separate journal entry about them. I wouldn't buy them again because of the upkeep, but I want to address some of the issues that we see in this hobby and what we as consumers can do about it.
DSCF5867.JPG

And one of original hermits from the nano tank I started with. Sporting his/her latest outfit (shell) - I'm guessing it was going through a low self esteem frumpy stage based on its choice at the time:
DSCF5868.JPG

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
And a video showing some of the fish, including two of the Engineer gobies making a rare public appearance. Mr Ed's mate is doing her thing in the background. I rehomed the PJ Cardinals to another reefer who loved them much more than I did (most boring fish ever... they do NOTHING but hover and eat), they were rehomed again after that and I have no idea how long they ended up living for, but seemed to be a low stress, very hardy fish. I swapped them out of the tank in preference of captive bred Banggai cardinals and unsuccessfully attempted to get a pair. I took this video to document them getting to know one another. I called the breeders net 'the shark tank' for obvious reasons - the new fish were not allowed out until there were no signs of aggression, and even then it was no guarantee.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
By the end of 2009 - some pics :)

Klyxum soft coral - it got bigger than this but I don't have any pics of it.
Just took 243.jpg

Just took 311.jpg

Just took 313.jpg

This is 'Cain'. I inherited him from a friend who shut down his tank. The banana wrasse (pair) that you can see one of above were also from him but I only held them for 2 months. Cain is still with me and has been my sole fish until recently. He looks after himself quite well, living off snail eggs mostly, and is a peaceful, timid little fish. He is an Azure Damselfish - Chrysiptera hemicyanea. Not to be confused with the more aggressive Yellow Tail Damselfish - Chrysiptera parasema.
Just took 306.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
So I'll quickly rip the bandaid off with sharing this part with you. October 2010 I moved house, simplified the tank a bit as I went but very sloppily set it up, and then myself and family experienced some crisis in our lives. My priorities were anything but the tank for the next 12 months. I lost my gorgonians and 2 LPS, but what triggered me to do something was when one of the Engineer gobies died. It didn't feel too good to know I caused that.

I kicked into action to get the tank back to a clean environment for the coral and fish again - didn't need to be pretty, just not a cesspool of death waiting to happen :( I needed some advice about a few things so I did some research online and discovered a cheerful place called The Reefuge! First step I took was changing the powerhead to increase flow. The following day I came home to find my last engineer goby dead in the impellors - a nice kick in the guts right after you try to do the right thing. That was almost the last straw, but I didn't have the time or energy to dismantle the tank - so that made up my mind for me. So the tank went from this:

Oct 2010
11102010123.jpg

To this - I have no idea why I even took a picture:
23102011413.jpg

24102011420.jpg

To this, new light, HEAPS of growth - a few new corals, but pretty dog ugly and colourless overall. No matter though because everything was happy and healthy again, the aesthetic side could wait:
IMAG0876.jpg

So there it is, what happens when you neglect your tank for a year and only partially get away with it... *goes off to pour herself a stiff drink*
But... onwards and upwards from here!