Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Filter Sock / Filter Floss???
Still just trying to get everything working as best it can for my tank.. seems to be everlasting haha

Anyway, I dont really have any room for a filter sock in my set up, at least to run properly, I have tried putting one in the overflow but it seems to stop the flow too much which does weird things to my water level.

My latest plan I think anyway should fit what i need to do? At least I hope just trying to get some feedback from you pros

So with filter sock out im looking for filter floss (I've seen on youtube people using the insides of pillows???) i was going to try and some how stick this to the side walls of my overflow so it catches any excess stuff and is easy enough to replace. My sump is tiny in the space of 20-30 ltr so the flow from that to the tank isnt much at all and my overflow holes are way more than is needed which i think in this case will help.

At the moment water goes over the overflow and waterfalls down the inside of the weir (which is where i was hoping to stick the filter floss?

Main points are has anyone tried this, what would be the benefit/ extra care required. And would i use filter floss or some sort of sponge? any recommendations on what to use would be good

My goal is to try to remove as much of the solid waste as i can before it breaks down. At the moment I have 0 mechanical filtration

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
ok so pictures - i meant to mention before that I'd do it tonight. sorry for terrible light had the flash on but yea not much I can do. Hopefully you can work out the water level in the overflow, its a bit below half way up the tank and stays constant. So the plan was to try stick something to the inside walls of the overflow to just catch anything that falls over

ai.imgur.com_pxy2zzv.jpg

ai.imgur.com_ClcSvKR.jpg

not sure if pictures uploaded right still not 100% sure how these forums work

Edited by MagicJ to fix the picture links :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The water level in the weir seems way too low - is it noisy? What do the pipes in the weir look like?

I don't think trying to put some filter material in the weir would work very well - the water will just run down the glass rather than through the filter material.

Can you take a photo of the weir pipework, and your sump?

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Weirdly its dead quiet - from everything i read people said if its not running at full syphon it'd be loud but no sound at all.

You can see the sump a bit in the second photo above (it's in the small gap under the aquarium) it's just very little only adds a small amount of space but I just use it to hold some extra media and give me some more room in general. There's a little fuge set up in there but the growth is very slow and I dont have room for bigger lights under there at the moment it just has decking LED's which suck a whole lot more than I first thought.

The pipework is behind the board on the right which doesn't come off, had to do it all through a small hole next to the top of the tank so I can't get a photo of it. But the low bulkhead going into hard PVC with 2 90 degree elbows to get it down and back under the tank. Top bulkhead goes into a hose because there was a bit more room to get hose to bend to the right angle.

The water does just run down the glass thats why i was wondering if it would be possibly to attach any media to the glass to kind of force it to at least run over it so any stuff might have the chance of getting snagged on its way down to the sump was my main goal anyway