Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Filter Sock & Return Pump Sponge
Quick survey, I guess there is nothing right or wrong in this ..

Do you use filter sock? If so, do you place it in the sump, in overflow chamber?

aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_9117fcdaa225d432e20bad7bd35849a0._.jpg

For those that are using Eheim pump, do you use or dispose the sponge?

I found out this afternoon that my return practically doesn't work ... output probably 1% of its real capacity. This is due to clogged sponge.

alh5_googleusercontent_com_proxy_t1x_v8eAVUl5Z3bLsc2hjhcS2QKW526e77331f06818e83d07844db5b90129.jpg

Last edited:

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I use filter socks Weekly on sand rake & turkey baste rock day only. Place on 2 downpipes for about 30mins. Wait for detritus to clear then remove.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There is no need to use the sponge in your return pump - if you do, then you need to clean it a few times a week and that is just too much trouble. Filter socks over the return pipes will do a much better job, and are easy to get to and replace.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
There is no need to use the sponge in your return pump - if you do, then you need to clean it a few times a week and that is just too much trouble. Filter socks over the return pipes will do a much better job, and are easy to get to and replace.
hey @MagicJ thanks for the response.

My way of thinking is quite similar to yours ... in a sense, the reason I bought filter sock, so that it catches more detritus but then I was (originally) thinking to leave the sponge there inside the Eheim return pump as a 2nd filter ... The logical thinking behind this is: water should already be free of detritus with the introduction of socks in the overflow chamber, then when it goes to skimmer, it gets skimmed .. then goes through return pump.

I don't know .. correct me if you think my way of thinking is incorrect.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
@Lesley do you use the sponge in your return pump? Assuming yours originally come with the sponge media.
I didn't have any sponge no. I personally hate any sponges anywhere. Generally detritus trap unless maintained. Less Maintenance the better for me. Wonder if that spounge may be there for vibration
Or noise rather than filtering. ?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I didn't have any sponge no. I personally hate any sponges anywhere. Generally detritus trap unless maintained. Less Maintenance the better for me. Wonder if that spounge may be there for vibration
Or noise rather than filtering. ?
Someone can probably chime in if I'm incorrect. I think it's mainly as filtration to avoid snail or similar hitting the impeller.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Get that sponge off that intake RIGHT NOW, it's a damn good way to burn up a pump. You should never, ever restrict the intake of a pump, only the output side. Put a cage of some sort around the intake to keep large stuff out. I'll echo what others have said about sock, use those, don't use sponges.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Guys, I just take out the filter sock for washing ... pretty much what I did just wash and rinse with normal drinking tap water and currently is in bucket soaked in RODI water.

It's gone slightly brownish color but certainly reusable and clean (as clean as washing with water, no bleach or detergent product used here).

When folks mentioned the word "replace" & "remove" the sock, you don't literally mean this sock is for single-use?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
If you have a power washer, they do a brilliant job of cleaning filter socks.
Turn them inside out and give them a not too savage blast and they come up as good as new.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Guys, I just take out the filter sock for washing ... pretty much what I did just wash and rinse with normal drinking tap water and currently is in bucket soaked in RODI water.

It's gone slightly brownish color but certainly reusable and clean (as clean as washing with water, no bleach or detergent product used here).

When folks mentioned the word "replace" & "remove" the sock, you don't literally mean this sock is for single-use?
I throw them in the washing machine on a rinse cycle with some bleach. Comes out white again.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Man, my boss will kill me if I dare to put any of the aquarium stuff into the washing machine.

I dare not to attempt.