Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

*fingers Crossed*
as we all know, when you're planning to go away for a period of time... Do all the things that can break or die the night before!!

I ordered an automatic feeder a couple of weeks ago, problematically only finding out at 5.30pm last week it wasn't coming, and being expedited an alternative which arrived at 10am today. I still haven't received the ATO I ordered! o_0

The simple solution to both those issues is just get the neighbour who is feeding the dog to also throw some food in the tank and toss in a bucket of water. My guilt levels are higher, but risks of fish deaths lower.

The only other golden rule broken today was "do not buy SPS and install in aquarium on said day before". Granted, they're frags... And aquacultured ones. I figure the chances of survival may even be bolstered by my reduced feeding, increased filtration fail safe of a wad of poly filter under the overflow into the sump, and probably even more stable water conditions because the house will be freezing cold with no heater going... Thus reducing evaporation!

I popped into Reef River Reptile for the first time in a year or so. I met Eric at the home of a local reefer @Scienceman, a couple of years ago when I was starting out. I had been wanting to go in to RRR for ages, but going nuts on coral that may not make it has been somewhat discouraged for financial reasons lately. They have a fabulous aquacultured frag system where you can buy pieces that are fully tank hardened. $24.95 each or 5 for $99.

image.jpg

I've always thought it a brilliant pricing structure. They are frags of frags of frags of frags... many times over. It's very encouraging for someone like me. I know they can survive. My Millepora has had live polyps on it for a long time... I want to see if I can keep larger sections of SPS alive now. If these work, I will likely buy some more pieces another day. The LPS in stock were looking fabulous with such a large variety and great prices!

I have some (bad) photos...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

There is also a pink Pocci, but I forgot to take a pic. I glued the corals on, I'll deal with it later if they need to move.

@Jimsim , I hear you have a new job! ;)