Tank Journal Archive

James Plush

Nov 25, 2014
First Steps
20141229_191513.jpg 20141229_191547.jpg 20141229_191601.jpg
Hi Everyone , I am a new member and New Reefer .
This is my Dymax Iq5 Pico Reef . I am taking things very slowly and Learning lots as i go .

I Started the tank with a 2 month "cycle" to make sure everything had time to settle .
At the End of the 2 month cycle my readings were 25c temp ,specific gravity 1.023, PH 8.0, NH3 0.00, NO2 0.00 ,NO3 0.00 ,PO4 0.25 ,CA140 .

I have added Phosguard to bring the PO4 reading down and started to add CUC and Zoa`s and GSP .

Unfortunately the GSP and smallest Zoa cluster had a nightmare trip to get to me after the guaranteed overnight delivery took 5 days to get to me . They have been in the tank for 8 days now and still haven`t opened yet but i am going to be patient and give them as much time as possible .

My CUC consists of 1 Turbo ,1 Strombus and 1 Black Turbo Snail . I don`t plan on adding any fish .

Cheer , James

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Welcome to the refuge and so glad your taking your time, you've obviously been reading up on things. Well done !

Hi mate & well done on the slow approach. Calc needs to come up to ~480 ish. Get some Damp rid from the stoopidmarket & mix some of that into your top up water. Or do some water changes to get it up a bit. & as said keep an eye on alk.

James Plush

Nov 25, 2014
Thank you for the Welcome Lads , Current readings as of today are
25c temp ,specific gravity 1.023, PH 8.0, NH3 0.00, NO2 0.00 ,NO3 0.00 ,PO4 0.00 ,CA440

And my Strombus is doing his best to rearrange the tank he has climbed some of the lower live rock and knocked a few things around .
Do any of you glue your rock together or do you just jam it in place as best as you can ?

E

ezza

I once ordered from capital corals who knowingly placed the satchel in the box after the final express post collection. I nearly threw up when greeted by the smell a few days later. Corals ans post are not such a good combo. I made sure that the company didn't just take my money and walk. I received some replacement corals... But yeah... Not so much a fan.

Welcome. And don't stress over 0.25!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Great start, nano/picos can look great once established.

I just did a trim of xenia and threw it out however keep an eye on the classified's and you will see some free xenia come up occasionally which can give you a start to some soft corals. At least with Xenia you can generally get a good chunk from a fellow reefer. best try the free stuff first.

Just remember if adding stuff into the nano tank its really easy to create a high concentration cloud of whatever stuff you add so add anything very slowly. I know I nuked a few of my corals with alk addition quite often.

So your disadvantaged in trying to dose stuff into such a small volume and a bigger problem for you is trying to manage temperature on hot days. You are however VERY lucky and envied by many reefers as you can do large water changes each week very quickly so use this advantage and just do water 25% changes weekly.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I once ordered from capital corals who knowingly placed the satchel in the box after the final express post collection. I nearly threw up when greeted by the smell a few days later. Corals ans post are not such a good combo. I made sure that the company didn't just take my money and walk. I received some replacement corals... But yeah... Not so much a fan.

Welcome. And don't stress over 0.25!
You haven't lived until you opened a box of corals from Indo only to be greeted with an anemone milkshake or a leather coral milkshake. Those are smells you will NEVER forget.

Very nice tank.

James Plush

Nov 25, 2014
Hi Macca_75 Thanks for the offer of Xenia but i suspect i have a blue Xenia hitchhiker and two purple ones as well they are only small and i am having trouble getting a photo of them to show you guys . And i have also found a single dreaded aiptasia hitchhiker as well hopefully it will be dieing tomorrow via a small injection right in its face . I will take some more photos and post an update this week .