News

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
First Update of 2013
Hello everyone,

Firstly I would like to wish everyone a happy new year. We hope that the new year brings happiness and luck to each and every one of you.

I would like to give everyone a quick rundown of what will be happening with The Reefuge this year. As stated earlier we will not start working on the site again until the 15th of Jan, but we would like to share a few of the things that will be happening this year.

Forum Platform - Some of you in the community are aware that The Reefuge is running on a modified version of the Xenforo platform. This platform, unfortunately, seems to be dead in the development area. We can keep the current version for a while, but in 12 - 18 months there will be major security flaws in the software if the developers do not keep it updated.

Although we can modify it over and over to make sure it stays safe, time spent on security fixes will greatly cut in to time spent making new features and making the software function better. Because of this, the decision was made to ditch Xenforo in 2013.

However, this is not all bad news. Although most of the members here love the platform, and the platform made other software such as PHPBB seem ancient, it is now starting to age. We have decided to move to another platform (which we will not disclose at this time). I have had a look at the source code of the other platform and it looks amazing. To add to the greatness of it, modules and hacks will be easily implemented into the site. There will be a few things to create again, but it will be a much faster process than what we currently have.

For this reason, we have decided to leave the Tank Journals the way they are at the moment. When we switch to the new platform, we will implement Tank Journals at the time of the change.

Once the main site is converted, we will be launching The Reefuge USA within a two month period.

Those of you who are interested in being moderators of The Reefuge USA, please reply to this thread.

More updates will be available in the future. Please feel free to post all comments and questions.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I would also like to add, although the platform will be new, we are going to keep the layout very similar to the layout we currently use, as well as the colours, etc. This way users will not need to learn how to navigate a new platform, as it will function in a very similar way to the platform we use now.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
that swooshing is the sound of all that going over my head. but the general consensus seems to be that its a good move. so i'll go with that :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Shame that this software is not being developed, has/had a lot of potential. But I am sure whatever you replace with will be just as good if not better ;)

Depending on what is going on when TR-USA rolls around I'd be happy to help ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.