Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Garlic
Have read on here that people have treaded ich with garlic, purchased continuum bio.viv garlic drops yesterday, is this safe for corals and clam, anomie, don't want to put anything in the tank that will cause more trouble after the tri sulphur , i know it won't cure it but might help

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
It will help as an ongoing type deal due to the fact that it encourages the fish to eat. Wont hurt anything tank wise, although I did hear a rumour that continued use can hurt fish liver (but I have no facts on that).

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Susan, what is the temperature of your tank? Any swings over a 24 hour period? I've found that that issue is the one thing that triggers ich in tangs more than anything else. When I get a shipment in, I can be assured that 90% of the tangs I get WILL break with ich. I keep the tanks at 26-27 degrees to keep this to a minimum.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Susan, what is the temperature of your tank? Any swings over a 24 hour period? I've found that that issue is the one thing that triggers ich in tangs more than anything else. When I get a shipment in, I can be assured that 90% of the tangs I get WILL break with ich. I keep the tanks at 26-27 degrees to keep this to a minimum.
thanks Rob, it sits at around that , i have fans in the sump area to keep it down, he is the only fish in my tank in 10 months that has got ich,he first got it a couple of hours after i got him home and this is he's 3rd time, he is a real stress head, this time it may be from the high ammonia i had, now ammonia is 0, nitrites 0 but nitrates are a bit high trying to get them back down

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
It will help as an ongoing type deal due to the fact that it encourages the fish to eat. Wont hurt anything tank wise, although I did hear a rumour that continued use can hurt fish liver (but I have no facts on that).
thanks all my fish are very good eaters and are feed well, to the point of always struggling with nitrates

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Keeping them fed is the best support you can give. No doubt the high ammonia didn't help with this outbreak. One thing I will tell you is to heat the water warmer than the tank when doing a change, 30 would be good because it will cool going back into the tank. Blue Hippo tangs feed quite a bit on plankton in the wild, make sure they're getting some higher protein foods in addition to greens.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Keeping them fed is the best support you can give. No doubt the high ammonia didn't help with this outbreak. One thing I will tell you is to heat the water warmer than the tank when doing a change, 30 would be good because it will cool going back into the tank. Blue Hippo tangs feed quite a bit on plankton in the wild, make sure they're getting some higher protein foods in addition to greens.
thanks, do you recommend mixing a few of garlic with the food, i already feed brine shrimp with garlic and spirulina in it and give them seed weed every day

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
thanks guys, posting a photo of one of my corals it is not happy, there is a feather type worm thing attached to it, not sure if it should be there
IMG_1987.jpg

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Kill it with fire. :D Seriously, there are quite a few things to kill them with from kalkwater or RO water injections to Aiptasia X. Whatever you do, DO NOT use the laser on them or your tank will be overrun with the damn things. Peppermint shrimp, the ones from the Caribbean will eat them as well as Copperband butterflies from Indonesia will also eat them.