Tank Journal Archive

FishBitch

Feb 3, 2016
Getting Started
So I've finally filled my first Saltwater Reef Aquarium and thought I'd get a Journal started.

Picked the tank up of Gumtree recently and and finally got everything I needed to start the cycle last night. My tank is just running with everything that came in the box at the moment. I'm sure I'll have to upgrade things further down the track but from what I understand this should do for now at least until the cycle is finished.

Any suggestions on upgrades or things I need to change are more than welcomed. I feel like I've done so much research but still have pretty much no idea, think this is going to be quite a learning curve :)

Equipment and stock so far:
Tank - Ocean Free Nano Marine 4 64L
Lighting - Stock lighting (ill post a picture with the details, if anyone knows whether this will do for corals or I need to upgrade please let me know)
Pump - Stock return pump 520L/h
Filtration - Rear sump with 3 chambers, currently housing a mix of Bio Media, Spongers and a bag of activated Carbon I added
Skimmer - Stock skimmer (I'm assuming this wont be very effective?)
Sand - Red Sea Reef Base: Reef Pink 0.5mm-1.5mm
Premium Live Rock - 3kg (Might get a bit more)
Water: Purchased from LFS

In terms of Live stock I haven't fully decided on anything in particular, although some nice corals are one of my main aims (Hammer Heads and Frog Spawns interest me, I really like the bright colours and the way the flow with the current). I'd also like a pistol shrimp goby pair and maybe some clown fish or something.

Also have no idea where to start with clean up crew so feel free to make suggestions.

Hope this goes well! I know I'm excited :)

Attachments

Last edited:

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
How does it work with this nano marine stuff? so stock pump meaning, it's like a trickle overflow behind the tank? I used to have 20L pico tank but your one look much nicer.

I bought mine for ... i think $40 LOL

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Im new to reefuge also.:welcome
Looks like your off to a good start...nice little tank.
You have a bit of waiting to do before your going to be able to introduce anything to the tank, my advice is really plan where your going to take this tank and what you would like to have in it and research.. research.. research..dont set yourself up for failure :D not everything is easy and alot of things dont mix well together.
Will you be using natural sea water or synthetic? Have you looked into or have a R/O D/I filter for making your fresh top up water?

FishBitch

Feb 3, 2016
Im new to reefuge also.:welcome
Looks like your off to a good start...nice little tank.
You have a bit of waiting to do before your going to be able to introduce anything to the tank, my advice is really plan where your going to take this tank and what you would like to have in it and research.. research.. research..dont set yourself up for failure :D not everything is easy and alot of things dont mix well together.
Will you be using natural sea water or synthetic? Have you looked into or have a R/O D/I filter for making your fresh top up water?
Hi Col. thanks for the warm welcomes.
I am currently using RoDI water and Saltwater purchased form my LFS. from what they told me that water is filtered ocean water. I dont know the impact of that whether good or bad?
also purchased 25L of RODI water for top offs.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Hi Col. thanks for the warm welcomes.
I am currently using RoDI water and Saltwater purchased form my LFS. from what they told me that water is filtered ocean water. I dont know the impact of that whether good or bad?
also purchased 25L of RODI water for top offs.
Try producing your own RODI water, that way you know you are getting zero tds at constant basis. In saying that, it'll be added $$$ but it's just a peace of mind.

When narrowing down what causing the problem, you can already cross out your water source.