Tank Journal Archive

James Plush

Nov 25, 2014
Good Things And Bad Things .
So i will start with the bad .

As i mentioned before i added to juvenile captive bred Clownfish to my IQ5 as the Nuvo is still cycling figuring on getting them settled and happy for the move into the Nuvo . So after acclimatising the Two clowns went into the tank and within 24hrs they started to sort out who was the boss and who wasn`t after 48hrs the smaller Clown submitted and did alot of shimmy`s on his side and everything was hunky dory .
At night they slept together and during they day they cruised around annoying the strombus and paper snails then Last Friday something changed and the smaller Clown started attacking the larger one chasing it around and harassing it . As the nuvo wasn`t ready for fish and i didn`t have a separator to use i had no choice but to leave them into together on the saturday night until i could get to a shop on sunday morning to get a separator so early sunday morning i get home from work via the shops to find the larger clown dead . Its tail fin was chewed away to the perduncle and one of the pectoral fins was chewed away too . When i bought the two clowns they were in the same tank together at the shop with 20 other juveniles so i am pretty sure they were all related and same species of ocellaris and they seemed to have sorted out the dominance issue so i am at a complete loss to explain what happened between the two of them .

The Good news is the Live rock that i bought . Crikey it has so many hitchhikers i am amazed even after a 10 min dunk in freshwater it is teeming with critters . There looks to be at least 3 fan worms to black striped and one pale blue striped , i have seen 2 large bristleworms , 6 bristle stars , one large flatish purple slug/worm thing ,another tendril worm type thing that drags lots of sand towards its burrow. a Small mussle and one Crab about 4mm across his shell . And the Coolest thing of all which scared me at first i have Two Pistol Shrimp . I paniced when i first heard the clicks from the tank thinking i had a mantis shrimp in there but after close inspection i found two pistol shrimp sharing the same little hole . And everything has survived through to the end of the 3rd week of cycling i had the brown algae bloom at the start of week 2 and 4 days after everything was green algae .

Does anyone know about breeding pistol shrimp ? I really wanted to find some sexy shrimp for this tank but probably won`t put them in this tank cause of the pistols .

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Sucks about the clowns. Were they similar in size? Wondering whether they were just sorting out dominance and the smaller one got too feisty.

Cool live rock by the sound of it! Are the pistols black striped? If so note they aren't the type that pair up with gobies, but can still be pretty cool.

James Plush

Nov 25, 2014
The Pistol Shrimp are orange coloured with White markings and have a over sized large left claw . I am going to get a macro lens for my camera so i can get some photos of all these cool little critters .

There was an obvious size difference in the two clowns i reckon about half a cm in length and the larger one was also fatter . I will stick with one Clown for now and get it happy and growing and then maybe look at introducing a new juvenile later down the track .

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I'm very jealous as all I ever got were bloody Mantis Shrimp. I've got crabs though - you can tell by all my scratch marks.

The freedom of an uncensored forum....

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Your Clown could have died of any one of many possibilities. Maybe it was sick anyway and the little one was telling it to piss off. Still, that little one sound nasty. I would go back to the shop and buy the biggest clown you can see.

When I bought my two clowns (over two years ago), I bought the large female first. At that time I only bought the one even though it had paired up in a tank with a tiny clown. I returned to the same shop about two weeks or so later and bought a second clown, a tiny one. It was not the same clown that the female had originally paired with. However, the two fish paired up immediately in my tank when I introduced the new tiny clown to the two-week-old-established larger clown. There was no aggression at all.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
The Pistol Shrimp are orange coloured with White markings and have a over sized large left claw . I am going to get a macro lens for my camera so i can get some photos of all these cool little critters .

There was an obvious size difference in the two clowns i reckon about half a cm in length and the larger one was also fatter . I will stick with one Clown for now and get it happy and growing and then maybe look at introducing a new juvenile later down the track .
Those sound like 'goby shrimps' in which case you scored! Love to see a pic or two.