Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hand Feeding The "gang"
HI,
Well all the fish have settled in better than we expected.
We are so pleased that all the fish have been with us for such a short time and it is lovely that we have gained their trust so quickly.
The peninsular seems to raise the confidence in the fish, its in a main stream high traffic area of the house and unlike our previous tank, none of the fish hide when us or even strangers go near the tank.
Thought I would include a little video of my hubby hand feeding the mob some seaweed for their morning snack.
Please forgive the quality as its only an IPhone video.
It is really interesting that the foxface doesn't rip away the nori, he stays in one spot and nibbles it away, but those tangs, well the video speaks for itself. lol

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Looking super awesome! Hope my naso comes up to feed like that soon, he is being quite the pain in the butt to get eating!

Got to love tang tanks, I already have the purple, sailfin, naso and mimic. Waiting on my clown, white cheek and orange shoulder. Just wish I had a tank as big and beautiful as yours to keep them in!

Glad it is working for you this time! Keep the vids coming!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm coming to get that Purple tang, hope you have some bags. :D Probably my favorite tang and the hardest one to get hold of right now. :(

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I'm coming to get that Purple tang, hope you have some bags. :D Probably my favorite tang and the hardest one to get hold of right now. :(
yes, and at this stage a friendly one too. Surprise surprise lol.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We bought one back in the 80s and it looked like it was on death's doorstep. The guy originally wanted $80 for it, it had HLLE bad, I offered him $40 and he took it. I have a secret weapon to fix it and it ain't Miracle mud either. ;) Vitamin C tabs dissolved in the tank and LOTS of algae which we grew with reckless abandon back then. You didn't have these fancy things call refugiums, you grew your macroalgae in the tank along the back wall. We drove back, I think close to 160kms from northern New Jersey and put him in the tank and hoped for the best. Within 2 months 90% of the erosion had healed and a month later you couldn't tell he even had it. He kept the Caulerpa trimmed neatly and healed up.
Back then Purple tangs were fetching $300-$400. I love them and Red Sea Sailfins, 2 of the hardiest tangs going. I also love the little Scopas tangs, another one that's bulletproof. Acanthurus tangs are touchy no matter what. If you make it through the first month you're generally home free with them. I personally think the thing that makes them sick further down the road is high nitrates, some fish can tolerate it, others can't.

I've been waiting for the Red Sea to ship direct for the better part of a year. Right now most of the Red Sea fish are shipping to Sri Lanka and then from there to here. I'm not paying 2 mark ups and 2 shipping charges on them. They'd land here about $100 for a small 6-8cm Purple.