Reef Discussion

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Heater / Chiller
Hi, how we all doing?
Saw this on ebay... thinking of getting one for a 47L.
yes or no or heres something better?
cheers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LS-02-Liquid-Cool-Heat-Compact-Chiller-For-Nano-Aquariums-/161771712042
LS-02 Liquid Cool & Heat Compact Chiller For Nano Aquariums

Includes Pump with Chiller.

Features

Special designed for cooling and heating small volume liquid;

Adopt peltier cooling and heating system;

Low noise design without big noise of compressor;

LCD blue tape crystal display, with dynamic icons;

Naturally cooling and heating, without sudden temperature change.

Can set differential of cool and heating separately.

Automatically convert between cooling and heating.

Parameters

Power supply: 100VAC~240VAC, 50/60HZ

Temperature controlling range: 16~42°C

Temperature measuring range: 0~50°C

Product: 205×110×110(mm); Screen: 50×23(mm);

Input: 1 NTC sensor(waterproof); wire: 2m

Resolution: 0.1°C; Accuracy: ±1°C

Adaptive water pipe: inner diameter

8mm(not included)

Power line: about 2.5m

Net weight: approx. 2000g

Power ≤120W

Adaptive Aquarium ≤35L

Relay 16A

Pump Flow ≤3L/Min

Adaptive Pump Head ≤1.5m

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
My nano is ~50l and i dont run a chiller. USB powered fans run by a STC-1000 has been all ive needed to keep stable temps.

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
My nano is ~50l and i dont run a chiller. USB powered fans run by a STC-1000 has been all ive needed to keep stable temps.
i was hoping to use this as then i won't have to put a heater in the display.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
That uses a Peltier Cell and it can heat and cool.

For cooling, it is not as effective as evaporation or compressors.
The main advantage is - obviously - not having to deal with increased evaporation.
Main disadvantage is price and size/footprint, as you need more Peltier cells than fans to achieve the same result.

Irrespective of cooling technology, the tank will need to be topped up with fresh water. So, in such small tank, would I rather prefer a fan and the extra evaporation.

"Peltier junctions are generally only around 10-15% as efficient as the ideal refrigerator (Carnot cycle), compared with 40–60% achieved by conventional compression cycle systems (reverseRankine systems using compression/expansion).[16] Due to this lower efficiency, thermoelectric cooling is generally only used in environments where the solid state nature (no moving parts, low maintenance, compact size, and orientation insensitivity) outweighs pure efficiency."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect#Peltier_effect

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
That uses a Peltier Cell and it can heat and cool.

For cooling, it is not as effective as evaporation or compressors.
The main advantage is - obviously - not having to deal with increased evaporation.
Main disadvantage is price and size/footprint, as you need more Peltier cells than fans to achieve the same result.

Irrespective of cooling technology, the tank will need to be topped up with fresh water. So, in such small tank, would I rather prefer a fan and the extra evaporation.

"Peltier junctions are generally only around 10-15% as efficient as the ideal refrigerator (Carnot cycle), compared with 40–60% achieved by conventional compression cycle systems (reverseRankine systems using compression/expansion).[16] Due to this lower efficiency, thermoelectric cooling is generally only used in environments where the solid state nature (no moving parts, low maintenance, compact size, and orientation insensitivity) outweighs pure efficiency."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect#Peltier_effect
So you saying the unit will be less effective and little maintaince? The room the tank is in doesn't get very cold or hot.