Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

Help! Houston, We Have A Problem.
I am wondering if anyone might have a recommendation for what to do; my main pump for the display is wearing out. I can go to a shop to replace the pump tomorrow. I cleaned it out today from top to bottom to determine the cause of the issue. I have cleaned the impeller and I greased it with plumbers grease, but the impeller is getting hot despite that.

Occurring is a sort of tidal surge as the water is pushed up into the tank for a few minutes- then the pump shuts off and the overflowing water returns to the sump for a few minutes before it kicks back in again to push into the display.

The worst part of it is that the damn dog barks every time the pump cuts out. It was happening overnight and we had no idea what he was barking at. We slept really badly last night.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to push it through tonight?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Could you stick a heater in the display tank for the night and keep it running separate from the sump?
Is there anything in the sump that needs circulation overnight?

E

ezza

Yes, I could stick the heater in the display... I have just the usual stuff, skimmer, etc. I have concerns about losing the clarifying benefits of the sump.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
On my old tank my return pump failed while I was away for work. I had my partner put the heater in the display and I let the tank run like that for a week until I got back home. I took the rock out of my sump because it probably died off, but the display tank was fine. If there isn't any rock or anything else you need to keep alive in the sump it will be OK overnight.

E

ezza

It's shut down now. The impeller and the inside of the housing where the impeller sits weren't getting along. I opened it all up one last time to find the plastic bubbling due to friction. Nothing can save it now. Buh-bye Aqua One crap!

I now have to decide which LFS to go to for a new one. I have no idea what I should choose (brand wise).

Any recommendations for excellent pumps?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
From memory your tank was about 400l . Is that right?
I have ave a tunze silent but i would recommend one of the eheim range . Maybe 3000/4000 lph

Last edited:
E

ezza

Early this morning, after leaving the pump off overnight, I tried turning it on for a bit to get the overflowed water back into the display and for a chance to run the skimmer.

The pump blew up.

The next few hours were basically spent racing around to obtain a replacement pump- I bought an Aqua Medic Eco Runner 3700L/h from Fantasea West Gosford. It's a great pump! Almost half the wattage of the Aqua One Moray I was using but so much better built and obviously more efficient. As soon as the water began to circulate, the strength was evident. I have never had such visible flow in the sump.

I would like to replace the pump I use for my reactor for something similar one day.

Two thumbs up to Aqua Medic and Fantasea! It was great to be able to walk in the door and have a choice of quality options and also quality advice.

E

ezza

I run two smaller return pumps in series, rather than a single big one. Redundancy is key for piece of mind :)
Peace of mind... As in calmness of thought. Piece of mind would be a chunk of brain.

I have an Aqua one pre-fab tank which isn't that adjustable. I wouldn't be able to install a second pump. It's a nice idea though.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I run the Jebao pumps exclusively now, I have 8 of them from the DC6000 to the DC12000, wouldn't trade them for the world. I also have a spare of each on the shelf in case of a failure.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I run the Jebao pumps exclusively now, I have 8 of them from the DC6000 to the DC12000, wouldn't trade them for the world. I also have a spare of each on the shelf in case of a failure.
I love that they are cheap enough to have a brand new spare laying around :D

E

ezza

I love that they are cheap enough to have a brand new spare laying around :D
It's something I'll be working toward now that we have dealt with all the major bills. It's aquarium love time!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I always have spares on the shelf. When you can afford it ezza, it's something EVERYONE should have. You can be without a skimmer and lights for a day or 2, but water motion is something that is needed. Buddy, I bought a case of 6 of the DC6000 and DC12000 pumps, a quick $2000, lol. What I REALLY wanna see Jebao reverse engineer is the Gyre generators.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I always have spares on the shelf. When you can afford it ezza, it's something EVERYONE should have. You can be without a skimmer and lights for a day or 2, but water motion is something that is needed. Buddy, I bought a case of 6 of the DC6000 and DC12000 pumps, a quick $2000, lol. What I REALLY wanna see Jebao reverse engineer is the Gyre generators.
I bet they are working on it lol. The Chinese love their copies!

E

ezza

How interesting. I whipped back to find this thread. My pump is less than a year old and died. It may still be under warranty! Have to check. I wouldn't have a receipt... But I can always check

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
How interesting. I whipped back to find this thread. My pump is less than a year old and died. It may still be under warranty! Have to check. I wouldn't have a receipt... But I can always check
You prob do have a 1 year warranty,
Find ....
Credit card statement.
Bank statement.
Cash transaction will require a bit more co operation from LFS.

E

ezza

You prob do have a 1 year warranty,
Find ....
Credit card statement.
Bank statement.
Cash transaction will require a bit more co operation from LFS.
The one good thing about the LFS is that they keep full transaction records! Yay! The manager even printed a copy for me. Thanks to the forum and this tank journal I could find the date of purchase.