Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
ok cool, no massive rush then :)

If you cant reach in there, you might have to wait for him to jump back out. My hog did after about 3 months LOL

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
How far does the weir level drop to when the return pump is switched off?

Could you try netting it out with the level dropped in the weir?
I lost this guy because he jumped from the external overflow onto the floor when I wasn't home :cry
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_Fish_hog.jpg

Last edited:

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
How far does the weir level drop to when the return pump is switched off?

Could you try netting it out with the level dropped in the weir?
I lost this guy because he jumped from the external overflow onto the floor when I wasn't home :cry
View attachment 55388
I tried that, i have a cover so if he jumps he can not jump on to the floor

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would be trying to get it out - I know it might be hard but there is generally a way if you think about it. Dropping the water level in the weir can help ...

E

ezza

Hi @Susan Bates. I had to fish a clown out of the weir once. The first step is simply having a ladder or chair that gets you high enough to be able to comfortably see into the weir. The compartment is the same depth as the tank, 70cm. If you have a small net or even a ladle from the kitchen you should be ok. Our overflow tube is shaped like an 'r' so it's not likely he will go up and down into the return. I had trouble with my fish getting spooked and hiding down in the corner of the weir under that pipe though. I found that stopping the pump helped, you can let the overflow go to the sump, then you just need to have your scooper go down the side of the weir and under the fish and it should follow your scoop to the water in the main tank. If the fish goes lower out of fear, you get a piece of egg crate/a spatula or anything that is similar to basically allow you to create a V shape that gives the fish a "safe space" while you help it rise to the level where you either scoop it up or it jumps back into the tank.

|r.....|
|......|
|......|
|\__/|
(ascii representation of weir and chamber with scoopy shape)

I don't know if that makes sense... but that's how I got my fish out.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi @Susan Bates. I had to fish a clown out of the weir once. The first step is simply having a ladder or chair that gets you high enough to be able to comfortably see into the weir. The compartment is the same depth as the tank, 70cm. If you have a small net or even a ladle from the kitchen you should be ok. Our overflow tube is shaped like an 'r' so it's not likely he will go up and down into the return. I had trouble with my fish getting spooked and hiding down in the corner of the weir under that pipe though. I found that stopping the pump helped, you can let the overflow go to the sump, then you just need to have your scooper go down the side of the weir and under the fish and it should follow your scoop to the water in the main tank. If the fish goes lower out of fear, you get a piece of egg crate/a spatula or anything that is similar to basically allow you to create a V shape that gives the fish a "safe space" while you help it rise to the level where you either scoop it up or it jumps back into the tank.

|r.....|
|......|
|......|
|\__/|
(ascii representation of weir and chamber with scoopy shape)

I don't know if that makes sense... but that's how I got my fish out.
thanks i will try that today

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I'm not sure how you weir/overflow is setup but I have retrieved a fish from a difficult spot by removing my durso over flow pipe and catching the fish in a net where the water flows into the sump i.e. the fish (quickly) travelled through my pipe and was caught as it entered the sump - luckily it was only a small fish and wasn't effected by the experience.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Whichever method you decide to go with, I would do it about 1 or 2 hours after the lights have gone out. The fish should hopefully be in a state of rest and be easier to net out.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
One thing to remember when you're designing your plumbing. You should have slip fittings in your drain bulkheads so you can gently rock the standpipe out of the weir and drop the level low enough to retrieve your fish. We thought the Upstairs goby was dead, then yesterday Crackers, the Cleaner wrasse went missing, yep, down the weir. While I was getting Crackers out of the weir, I found Upstairs goby.

Upstairs and Downstairs goby are a mated pair of Starry gobies, M named them, don't ask me, lol

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
One way, rather then removing the water is to displace it. So, for example, fill plastic bags with water and squeeze them in the weir until the only space left is at the top of the weir, then you can net the fish. The fish will move upwards once it sees you pushing things in there toward the bottom.

It's actually very easy and there are many things that you can squeeze into in the weir and later retrieve. You can even fill it will coral sand and then suck the sand back out with a siphon, but there are easier ways.

Another way is to push an open clear fish bag in there until it gets to the bottom. Have it tied by a piece of fishing line. use a stick to push the fish around and soon enough it'll end up in the bag. Then, just raise the bag out. I always did this when catching electric yellows. Although saltwater fish like wrasse are far smarter than electric yellows, it still works.

Last edited: