Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
How much to skim
I was going to post this under another thread but thought this is really a separate issue....how much to skim.

You hear people saying is my skimmer any good, is my skimmer to small.....so question is how do you measure how good a job the skimmer is doing?

How do you know if you need a bigger one? Could say something but trying to be serious! LOL

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
it depends if you are trying to skim 'wet' or 'dry' . what were you looking to achieve from the tank. how quick does it fill up a cup and how man L can the cup hold?

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
So I can answer questions, what is the difference between wet and dry skimming/
What do you mean achieve for the tank....clean as possible I guess....not sure how you measure that other than visually?
Will measure and count cups.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
As far as I understand dry skimming is when your skimmer is producing an almost dry foam and it will take a while for the collection cup to fill up.
Wet skimming is when your skimmer is turned up almost all the way and produces a liquid that is close to "tea" color-. this will fill your collection cup up fast.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
and another blatant copy and paste-too tired to paraphrase
Wet skimmate is the thin light green tea-colored solution collected when lots of air and a relatively high water column height is adjusted for in skimmers that are adjustable (MR-2 type skimmers). This removes a lot of seawater and requires that any auto-top-off devices be turned off during such operations. Failure to do so may result in dilution of salinity. As an alternative (especially in sumpless systems), the system may be overfilled with seawater and skimmed down to normal levels.

Dry skimmate is the thick, concentrated skimmate collected when water column height is adjusted to about 3 or 5 cm below the collection neck (may be more or less depending on pump, skimmer brand, and venturi/air injection device) and the air injection is reduced to prevent excessive foam formation. This allows the skimmate to concentrate in the foam formed within the collection riser so that the skimmate collected in the cup is quite concentrated, relatively "drier" than the thin wet skimmate collected with less restrictive adjustments. This is usually the optimum setting for skimmers, as it does not remove large volumes of water while the system is unattended, yet effectively removes large amounts of DOC and particulates from the water column. This conservation of seawater helps to prevent fluctuations in salinity, especially in systems with automatic top off devices in operation.

Wet skimmate allows for better rapid collection of particulates and some organics, but at the cost of collecting extra water (around 2 to 3 gallons every 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the adjustment settings.) This extra water collected can be added to the total for discard from water changes, and acts to clear the water column of suspended detritus. This is especially helpful while performing detritus siphoning/uspension and algal scraping of the glass and when blowing the rock with current to remove detritus. You'll need to keep track of the total amount of seawater removed from the system, and replace that amount with fresh seawater to maintain salinity parameters. If you use auto-top off, make sure to adjust the height of the water in the sump before restarting the auto-top-off to prevent changes in your system's salinity

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Thanks for that...so I have an Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000 Multi SL, and if I'm understanding this correctly I need to adjust the height that the skimmer sits relative to the water in the sump so I have good flow through the skimmer, ie not turned down too much and yet I don't have too much wet skim...am I right

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
That sounds right but I would double check with someone else as well as although I know the theory-I don't skim! LOL:eek:

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Because every system is invariably different... skim as much as you need to to maintain nutrient levels and where it doesn't critically impact ionic balance :) any number would be a guess at best without putting it into application.

The Germans love their cups and days though!