Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

How Odd...
odd, interesting, strangely intriguing....

So, my first Trochus fell out of its shell this evening. Not really something I was expecting.

image.jpg

What a bummer! It's turning out to be such a bad week for my aquarium!

My daughter's Siamese fighting fish died today too. I don't think I can take any more!!!

My operation is on Thursday. I hope I don't come home to 400L of seafood soup.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Erin I'll send off the next santa bucket monday so you have plenty of salt this week in case you need to mix a lot up. All the best for the surgery :-)

E

ezza

Erin I'll send off the next santa bucket monday so you have plenty of salt this week in case you need to mix a lot up. All the best for the surgery :)
Thank you Holly :) I will put in an order for more pellets soon too.

Have you done a water change since the blackout Ez?
Good grief, I thought we had but apparently not. We must have done it right before the power went out. My memory is clouded with all the drugs methinks :p we will do one today.

That snail had been hanging out of its shell a lot recently too. I don't think it's just the blackout that affected it.

Hey Ezza, glass half full :)

I have to say that's really interesting to see a Trochus minus shell. My personal experience with them is that large ones are just waiting to fall off the perch, I've had endless problems with large Trochus whereas small ones I love. I do have the large in my tank but only because I seem to have a self sustaining population of these snails.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Good grief, I thought we had but apparently not....we will do one today.

That snail had been hanging out of its shell a lot recently too. I don't think it's just the blackout that affected it.
Good one! Lol, kidding. There's a lot to think about pre-op, I've been through it many times with my mum so I know the drill all too well.

Re: the trochus, to add to Ian's experiences, I have never been able to keep them either. They die after however many months and usually start to go floppy and have trouble holding on to the glass. I think they starve honestly and no wonder as your pic shows they are just one big stomach and an intestine! So hopefully its just a coincidence rather than a result of the power outage.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Good one! Lol, kidding. There's a lot to think about pre-op, I've been through it many times with my mum so I know the drill all too well.

Re: the trochus, to add to Ian's experiences, I have never been able to keep them either. They die after however many months and usually start to go floppy and have trouble holding on to the glass. I think they starve honestly and no wonder as your pic shows they are just one big stomach and an intestine! So hopefully its just a coincidence rather than a result of the power outage.
Interesting, I've never had trouble keeping them. I've had mine for years and years. Even had some babies pop up here and there.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I lost a Strombus snail recently and so know it's sad when you lose one of the bigger snails in your tank.

Having said that, your deshelled Trochus reminds me of a snail I ate raw in Tokyo.

E

ezza

I'm not crying over a snail :p I've had him for almost 2 years now.
I lost a Strombus snail recently and so know it's sad when you lose one of the bigger snails in your tank.

Having said that, your deshelled Trochus reminds me of a snail I ate raw in Tokyo.
I can't say I'd eat snails :p especially looking like that!!

I doubt he starved, I have enough algae to feed a small army of snails. I would actually like to get more snails because I feel that the current lot are overworked!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I'm not crying over a snail :p I've had him for almost 2 years now.

I can't say I'd eat snails :p especially looking like that!!

I doubt he starved, I have enough algae to feed a small army of snails. I would actually like to get more snails because I feel that the current lot are overworked!
Grab some paper snails they breed like rabbits! Nicd collects turbos from his tank and sells them in big batches. They also breed well and just eat all day. :)

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Sorry about that post above.

By the way, the snail I ate in Tokyo was one of the worst culinary experiences in my life. If it wasn't for the fact that I was sitting in front of the chefs, along a table where everyone could see, I would have brought said snail back up.

And yes, that picture above did remind me of the Tokyo experience.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Yep, snails taste like flavourless rubber! Hence why the french coat them in copious amounts of garlic and butter.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I only had escargot once, I was SO drunk that I think they could have slapped a plate of rotten dog shit down in front of me and I'd have probably eaten it, lol.

Good luck Thursday, big hug from the USA.

I had snails (french style) on a cruise a couple of years back. Boring really and I wouldn't bother again. I could get the same effect by coating boring old tofu in garlic and it would be a better texture.

E

ezza

I love Tofu :)

I think I might get some snails in bulk and add them. Some assorted stuff, though I don't know what. I wish I collected some from the beach before today but the bad weather turned me off. I'll have some money soon so I will be able to spend a bit on fish and some coral. It's been almost 2 years since I started, I'm not surprised there have been some deaths of snails and stuff.

@ReeferRob , thanks babe! I'm feeling like it's really happening now. I am full of liquids and nothing else.