Reef Discussion

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
How to use Reef Food Correctly
Hi guys,
I have got some reef nutrients / food from LFS. I add around 2ml of each of the two feeds i have twice a week.
Question is should I add directly over the corals a bit to each coral and do this with the power head / return pump off ??
or
just squirt the 2ml into the aquarium with pumps / power head on and the corals will get what they need
or a combination of either of the two above options ?
thanks for the help
cheers
chris

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
One is Brightwell reef builder and the other was a generic coral food. I can double check specifics when I get home but that is what I can remember at this stage

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Brightwell Liquid Reef Builder is primarily a calcium supplement - this can just be added to the water but you should be testing your calcium levels as you may be putting in too much or not enough depending on the calcium demands of your tank.

Coral Food, such as TLF ZoPlan, can just be mixed up and added to the tank. But I generally target feed a few things e.g. my goni's, before I through the rest in..

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
What sort of system are you running where you need to add extra nutrients?

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Not sure exactly what you mean. Only new to everything and had the tank about 5 weeks or more now. It was already operating when I got it.

I have live rock in there and filter material in the first section at the back and bio balls in the second section

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I think you may be making life a little bit more difficult for yourself than you need to.

If you want to have a chat and see me online in the toolbar drop me a message and Iwill run some things past you

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I thought that you just throw the stuff in according to the supplied directions, slaughter a sacrificial animals and then pray to the gods for results!
Works for me!

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Thanks Guys and NiCD.

It looks like just squirt in without turning anything off.

Ill keep an eye out for you online to chat NiCD.

Appreciate it cheers

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i guess the only real thing you may need to target feed/squirt will be the goni as they require to be target fed to ensure survival although many will argue that they have a short lifespan no matter what you do but ive seen some gonis that have lasted a fair while