Reef Discussion

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Id Please
Hopefully someone can tell me what this is? It was a hitch hiker on the back of a acro .its growing a bit like GSP but looks like palm tree coral.
Do i keep it or is it invasive?

Attachments

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
looks like a type of Tubipora musica. If it is it will have more of a calcareous skeleton than GSP. I received some Tubipora musica about the size of a 50cent piece from an online vendor as a throw in and instead of throwing it out i put it in the back of the tank. It quickly grew quite large so in that regard it can quickly take space you might want for other corals.
It grows quite interestingly and adds some depth to the back of the tank so I've kept it but if it were close to other corals it would need frequent pruning i think.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
looks like a type of Tubipora musica. If it is it will have more of a calcareous skeleton than GSP. I received some Tubipora musica about the size of a 50cent piece from an online vendor as a throw in and instead of throwing it out i put it in the back of the tank. It quickly grew quite large so in that regard it can quickly take space you might want for other corals.
It grows quite interestingly and adds some depth to the back of the tank so I've kept it but if it were close to other corals it would need frequent pruning i think.
Thanks @Mattres

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Sorry just had another look. No skeleton base.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Maybe just remove it? No loss then as you didn't buy it and save the hassles latter if it decides to take over! lol