Tank Journal Archive

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
Inital Fill And Cycling
Finally got to fill it a week ago which is when I got my cycle going, but only got the circulation going today. It's certainly noisier than I had hoped and lots of micro bubbles which I still have to fix, maybe when I get some rock and algae in the fuge it might help with the bubbles.DSCN4439.JPG DSCN4437.JPG DSCN4435.JPG DSCN4432.JPG DSCN4433.JPG DSCN4434.JPG
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrite - .3ppm
Nitrate - 10ppm

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Hey there,

Good to see you have it filled and on the way. A couple of observations (as the photo's may just not be doing your setup justice).

1) Is there enough room to easily remove the skimmer cup (and skimmer for that matter) for cleaning and/or maintenance?
2) I would recommend getting the chiller out of the sump cupboard. Any heat the chiller makes will only heat your water in the sump, thus making the chiller work harder, thus heating your water more and so on.

Also, with the noise. Have you managed to figure out where it is coming from? Maybe pinpointing it will help eliminate it.

Last but not least, have you done a full power out test (make sure nothing floods) and in turn failed all your equipment in various combinations?

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
Hey there,

Good to see you have it filled and on the way. A couple of observations (as the photo's may just not be doing your setup justice).

1) Is there enough room to easily remove the skimmer cup (and skimmer for that matter) for cleaning and/or maintenance?
2) I would recommend getting the chiller out of the sump cupboard. Any heat the chiller makes will only heat your water in the sump, thus making the chiller work harder, thus heating your water more and so on.

Also, with the noise. Have you managed to figure out where it is coming from? Maybe pinpointing it will help eliminate it.

Last but not least, have you done a full power out test (make sure nothing floods) and in turn failed all your equipment in various combinations?
Yes I can get the Skimmer cup out fairly easily, the skimmer it's self is a little bit harder but I can if needed, would obviously need to remove the bio reactor first.
The back of the cupboard is completely open, I was hoping this might give the Chiller enough ventilation? the other thing I was thinking was to put vents in the side of the cabinet. I'd rather not have to see it, but I guess It could sit beside the tank if worst comes to worst.
The majority of the noise is from the water falling down the pipes at the back. It is a bit better if I put some coarse filter material in the overflows but I'm worried if they block up It'll overflow the tank.
And lastly If I turn off the all the power it fills up the sump to about 25mm from the top, so hopefully it won't overflow.

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
What sort of noise is coming from your tank piping? gush, splashing etc?
Just the noise of running water, I have just put a 25mm piece of pvc piping down inside the 38mm which has helped a bit. Just need to do the same for the other side.