Reef Discussion

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Very interesting...indeed.......no PO4 levels are not concerning, all are lower than typical PO4 in NSW.

One thing that amazed me was the high levels of trace elements compared to NSW.

Wondering if these could be harmful to our reefs at the reported levels. I mean lead, aluminium, silicon, iron, copper, lithium, chrome, nickel, molybdenum.......the list is long.

I use NSW myself.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Dang they didn't have brightwell.

I used to use nsw but it was to high in phos. I'm hoping once the phos comes into line I can do the occasional change with nsw for the micro life that is in it.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
ok well ill try that then lol
I've been getting salt water from reflections. No issues so far but id rather have the mix at home so i don't have to go get water

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
RO/Di 4 stage unit from PSI Filters......wouldn't be without it. Well worth the investment.

By the way, I have filtered NSW delivered, its devoid of micro organisms, and PO4 is < 0.04 every time. This level reduces over time in the IBC too.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Interesting read.

FWIW,
I have tested the phosphate levels of Red sea coral pro, tropic marin pro/Bioactif and Brightwell Neomarine, all at 0.00 phosphates.

That's been mixed with water through a 4 stage PSI Filter.

I would like to know when these tests were done, no dates. Shows references to things 20 years ago.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
That might explain why there are such high levels of unwanted metals in comparison to seawater. Good call.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
That's what I had been using before switching to asw. I don't plan on doing the occasional change with nsw.

Try K&J if you want to try the neo marine

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Far from cheap compared to Red Sea but a lot better I am led to believe. I brought two buckets when brightwell were running a special for $140ea. I expect they will have gone up a touch but pm @K&J Aquatics for a reefuge members price.