Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Is this light big enough
I have a 1400mm long x 600mm wide by 750mm deep tank and have a Aqua Medic Aquasunlight with 2 x 150W MH, 2 x 54W TS and 6 x LED moonlights...is this light OK?

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Well only just starting so not 100% sure...would like enough like for BTA when established...not sure on all the terminology, but prefer stuff that looks soft hammer heads, etc, and stuff that looks like anenonmes.

Would like one of those birdsnest type at about 2' deep

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
depends on what type of clam. clams i would hold out on untill your system is more stable.
for clams those lights wont be the best but they will sustain bta's lps and softys most the way to the bottom of the tank. you will need to do research before you buy corals to look up their light requirements as 150w halides punching through 750mm will be rather weak on the par sides of things.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think it would be just OK for corals with low light requirements i.e. mushrooms, zoa's, softies etc or with corals with a higher requirement in the top 1/3 of the tank.

You have two problems:
  • the depth of your tank - generally 175w MH is recommended for tanks up to 50cm deep; 250w up to 75cm deep and 400w up to 120cm deep
  • the length of your tank - MH's have a spread of around 60cm x 60cm. At 140cm long you are going to have some darker areas in the tank.
If you have any thoughts about keeping BTA's, clams or birdsnest corals (SPS) then I would be looking to upgrade your light in the short term.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I should have started with this I guess...I bought a used light thinking it was a Aqua Medic Sunlight NG 2 x 250w MH + 4 x T5 + moonlights, yes dumb me didn't double check and globes are 150W.

I went back to the guy and he said it was a 250W light with 150W globes...ignitor/starter has 250W on it...does anyone know if I just need a bigger globe?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I went back to the guy and he said it was a 250W light with 150W globes...I took a pic file:///Users/Sven/Desktop/IMG_0455.jpg of the ballast...does anyone know if I just need a bigger globe?
I don't think that 150w globes would work with a 250w transformer but if they did probably not for very long. Unfortunately Sven, we can't see a picture that is on your desktop :) You will need to upload it - let us know if you need any help.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
There's no spec on the external of the light...there's the original Aqua Medic tag on one of the leads but nothing else on the outside.

Here is pic of starter......not sure if this is ballast or if that is separate
IMG_0455.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Sven, I have had a look at the datasheet for the ignitor pictured above and I have some thoughts on the matter. But, I am not an electrician and only have a basic understanding of how MH's work - I suspect that there will be another transformer located somewhere within the light unit.

Maybe someone else will be able to comment but I suggest you take it to a local electrician to confirm the situation.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
thats not the ballast, theres no big external blocks that are inline with the power leads? sometimes they are built into the units.
they are realy heavy so usualy if the light weighs a ton the ballasts are inside it