Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Is This Normal ????
I have done what the Red Sea dosing products recommend. test all parameters leave for 3 days test again. work out how much your tank is using and dose accordingly.
I have done that and readings are

MAG 1300 DOWN TO 1260
ALK 10.9 DOWN TO 9.3
CAL 450 DOWN TO 440
Seems like an awful lot of MAG -and ALK & in proportion not a lot of CAL . Double tested on both occasions and readings are correct using sailifert test kits.
Do these figures seem normal ? Being our first reef tank I actually have no idea on NORMAL usage of these foundation elements.
Any feedback would be good.
Thanks

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
cal should have drop 60ppm or somthing ay.

are you testing the same time of day could be a alk swing maybe

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
cal should have drop 60ppm or somthing ay.

are you testing the same time of day could be a alk swing maybe
First lot done late afternoon second lot done 8 pm at night ! Does that make a difference ?

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
alk will be lower at night.

how much cal and alk you added between testings?

mite be overdosing cal and the alk is coming out of solution binding with the excess cal. but id get a 2nd option on this 1

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
My tank uses around 4x as much alk as cal and I have never dosed mg outside of water changes.

All tanks are different.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
how many litters is your tank and how many mls are you using?
1000 litre tank.150kg live rock 200liter sump 50kg live rock dosing for 1000 liters in total.with displacement
Using red sea foundation powder Mag 40 gram raises 5.36 Alk 20 gram raises .7 dkh Liquid Cal 50ml raises 10ppm

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
My tank uses around 4x as much alk as cal and I have never dosed mg outside of water changes.

All tanks are different.
wow.. nice to know. I actually triple checked the mag because from everything I have read mag is the least dosed product. Obviously not in our tank.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
i also use the powder but not nearly as much as you. All tanks are different and weirdly some drink the calcium and some drink the magnesium some drink both. I know that myself and buddy don't ever need to dose mag but others like cosby don't need calc but need mag.

As you use such large quantities i would recommend dosing 30 minutes apart. This will ensure that they are not effecting one another. (this is also recommend by red sea).
Goodluck

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
i also use the powder but not nearly as much as you. All tanks are different and weirdly some drink the calcium and some drink the magnesium some drink both. I know that myself and buddy don't ever need to dose mag but others like cosby don't need calc but need mag.

As you use such large quantities i would recommend dosing 30 minutes apart. This will ensure that they are not effecting one another. (this is also recommend by red sea).
Goodluck
I am doing it about 7 hrs apart just to be safe. I am amazed but glad to hear those numbers are not unexpected. Was a bit worried when did readings tonight thanks a lot