Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

It Was Good Till It Was Bad
Today I dragged my husband and child down to Eastwood Aquarium after a weEk of the kid being stuck at home due to an intestinal parasite and my husband had a bad cold. I was just caring for everyone with a couple of scratchy throats.

I wanted to buy some SPS from the shop and chose a couple of lovely sculptural pieces with amazing colour and polyp extension.

Coming home required a quick trip to Bunnings to grab some Aqua Knead-It. I needed to clean the aquarium and also get the corals in. It took longer than expected because the damn things were so heavy. I ended up pulling my scape apart to try to get it to work. I was upside down in the tank to my underarms. My hair was going in the water (as close as I could get without snorkeling).

I got the millepora fixed and was trying to do the blue Acro but the putty was giving me issues. The coral kept falling over. My husband was making dinner and watching football on his phone and generally not helping. He was hurrying me up and at one point I was trying to get the last of my rapidly hardening putty to stick to a rock to hold the coral...

And I dropped the whole coral on the floor from a couple of metres up. The damn coral cost me quite a lot. It was going to be a big space filler for the depth of the aquarium... And I dropped it. I couldn't cry because I was so damn upset. I tried gluing it back together, but none of my glues would work. I had no more putty.

In the end, I somehow stuck all the little tips to tiles and some other inch long bits. The couple of longer branch like bits have been pretty manhandled, but I somehow threw the shit pile of rocks around to hold things in for now. I ended up spending something like 5hrs doing this and I am so disappointed with myself. The tank was so dirty and messy by the end. I just hope something lives. I half expect the coral to die because it was out of the tank for so long, and I feel like I just can't do this. I don't even have great photos. Sam and Sunny had photographed the corals so I saved their pics. I wish I had bought smaller pieces. There are others I should have got, less fancy and showy, green. I just shouldn't dare buy amazing coral, I am not good enough to keep it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Sam and Sunny's photos

image.jpeg
This was last thing before bed. 1% light. I am starting to get my 3rd sore throat this week and a blocked nose. It's finally getting me.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I'm not sure why, but things always seem to take 5 times longer than we think they will when we have our hands in the tank :eek

With good conditions I am sure they will grow back nicely, and then you can look back on this experience and have a laugh to yourself. Maybe share a few of the broken bits around as some insurance on yours not making it.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Super glue gel will stick the broken SPS together.

Aqua kneed requires super glue gel on it for contact between the coral and aqua kneed . You also require a dab of super glue on the liverock to contact with the dab on the aqua kneed.

E

ezza

Aqua kneed requires super glue gel on it for contact between the coral and aqua kneed . You also require a dab of super glue on the liverock to contact with the dab on the aqua kneed.
I was all out of superglue apparently. I had picked up a tube of glue that I thought would work well, but it just didn't stick the coral to itself.

I need a small hardware shop at home.

E

ezza

SO.......

Your back is ok then?! o_0
Oh honey! Long story short... I am now 12 months post spinal fusion. I have been experiencing high levels of pain which have impacted my physical and psychological wellbeing which have been diagnosed as Fibromyalgia.

I have more muscle strength now than I have for a long time. Day by day I do get stronger. There are some good days and some bad where I stay in bed or shuffle around with my walking stick. For the most part, I am pretty good with general flat ground walking.

I discovered last night (while husband was doing who knows what) that I could pick up my water containers (20kg or so) to pour the water out without pain in my back- I'm meant to have a lifting limit of about 5-7kg.

Hopefully I can rebuild my muscles now and regain my strength, which will also help support my back. I have had a lot of issues with my muscles and take muscle relaxants to try to manage the pain and the effects of them over tightening and cutting off nerves and arteries.

E

ezza

This is how I get coral to stay where I want
View attachment 54116
View attachment 54117

I leave the pvc there for a week then remove
Damn. I didn't think of that. I was trying some plastic kitchen utensils without luck.

These are pics I just took. The fat blue sticks are just placed in the holes in the rocks. If anyone wants a frag, I do have a couple of chunks and otherwise just little tips. You just need to come up to the Gosford exit of the M1.

Attachments

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Don't stress . Stags grow very quickly and will fill that gap in no time (and your whole tank if it).

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Oh honey! Long story short... I am now 12 months post spinal fusion. I have been experiencing high levels of pain which have impacted my physical and psychological wellbeing which have been diagnosed as Fibromyalgia.

I have more muscle strength now than I have for a long time. Day by day I do get stronger. There are some good days and some bad where I stay in bed or shuffle around with my walking stick. For the most part, I am pretty good with general flat ground walking.

I discovered last night (while husband was doing who knows what) that I could pick up my water containers (20kg or so) to pour the water out without pain in my back- I'm meant to have a lifting limit of about 5-7kg.

Hopefully I can rebuild my muscles now and regain my strength, which will also help support my back. I have had a lot of issues with my muscles and take muscle relaxants to try to manage the pain and the effects of them over tightening and cutting off nerves and arteries.
Take it easy Ezza. Lifting 20kg and twisting around with it is a risky task for anyone.

I have limited lifting water to 12.5kg.

It's not worth it in the long run.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015

I've got some branching hammers I bought from a fellow reefer and they'd been stuck in place with a translucent looking glue. Perhaps this is the super glue gel? Is this the same as normal super glue? How do you get so much to stay in one spot without running everywhere? It looks much better than aqua kneadit.

E

ezza

Take it easy Ezza. Lifting 20kg and twisting around with it is a risky task for anyone.

I have limited lifting water to 12.5kg.

It's not worth it in the long run.
I am feeling general aches and pains today. Mind you, I picked up man-flu from my husband so it may be that. I'll survive! Thankyou hon.

The Fish Guy

May 24, 2016
I've got some branching hammers I bought from a fellow reefer and they'd been stuck in place with a translucent looking glue. Perhaps this is the super glue gel? Is this the same as normal super glue? How do you get so much to stay in one spot without running everywhere? It looks much better than aqua kneadit.
Superglue gel has the concistancy of toothpaste and is stronger than regular superglue

E

ezza

It would be nice to be able to get good glue cheap that doesn't harden in the bottle/tube if you don't use it immediately. I find that buying coral putty in LFS is hit and miss because half the time it is very old and off. I recently bought a card of putty from a $2 shop which did alright for its budget price. It was slightly more tacky than aqua knead it, not as high quality, but it worked and I didn't waste any.