Tank Journal Archive

pvancomp

Nov 24, 2017
Just realised none of the text I wrote yesterday actually posted so I've re-written it for everyone today.

Finally something to update on the tank. It's been cycling for about 3 weeks and ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all at 0, so went to the LFS with the Mrs to get some livestock. Got 2 clowns, no names yet, leaving that in her hands, 2 torches, and a turbo snail. Haven't seen a turbo snail in action until it went into the tank and now know how they got their names

Did a 20% water change on Friday, and added everything in Saturday, kept the lights off and didn't feed them. Hoping the clowns will eat soon as when we tried feeding them on Sunday, they always spat it out the fussy little buggers From what I've done before, they always used to eat this without drama, so hoping they'll start munching soon and not starve. Will get a few different varieties of foods for them as well, but for now just pellets.

Put the 2 torches on top of the rock and they seem to be enjoying it as they're more extended now than when we saw them at the shop, but realise that now we have to be careful in what corals we put near it. Thinking some hammers, a leather, and maybe a mushroom in the sand away from them, if I should avoid those near the corals please let me know.

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Got 2 clowns, no names yet, leaving that in her hands
Good idea ;)

Put the 2 torches on top of the rock and they seem to be enjoying it as they're more extended now than when we saw them at the shop, but realise that now we have to be careful in what corals we put near it. Thinking some hammers, a leather, and maybe a mushroom in the sand away from them, if I should avoid those near the corals please let me know.
Some hammers and torches don't sting each other. Brushing the polyps briefly is a good way to tell (If they stick, they'll fight).

Good luck with the new tank :)

pvancomp

Nov 24, 2017
Thanks for the wishes.

So far the torches look really good, they're getting double the polyp extension compared to what we saw in the LFS so very happy with that. We're actually thinking of making a decent size torch garden now o_0 Then a leather and down the line a clam and anenome once the tank is more settled.

As for the clownfish though, they don't seem to be eating the pellets that we give them, they'll have a nibble and spit them out again. This isn't something I should be overly worried about yet is it?

They've only been in the tank since Saturday. Right now just soaking the pellets in some tank water to see if them being softer will entice the fish to eat them. Should I try different foods or stick to this one for now?