Tank Journal Archive

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
It's Filling Time
I spent the weekend working on the electronics, so I'd be ready to fill the tank...and yesterday I was finally ready to drop into Aquaristics and grab everything I needed.

ai.imgur.com_9OcrZgTl.jpg

My haul...I'm very happy that I borrowed this trolley from work!

ai.imgur.com_CMhG21il.jpg

Finally starting to look like something. Aquaristics didn't have a lot of live rock, so I'll have to pick up more, once they get more in stock. They said this chunk should be good to get the cycle started.

ai.imgur.com_syeePjil.jpg

Here's the sump filled and ready to go ( I hadn't set the skimmer height yet, in this photo.

ai.imgur.com_jaN8gExl.jpg

ai.imgur.com_G95bqs5l.jpg

FTS

I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far. I'm hoping to pick up a slightly bigger piece of live rock soon before I really start aquascaping. We've got a few hitchhikers, two 1cm wide snails, a small crab, two small sea urchins and a collection of spikey tentacle things, which I'm thinking may be a bristle star...not sure how many will make it through the cycle but I've got my *fingers crossed* :)

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
Yeah... Hopefully :-)

I've definitely identified the tentacle monster as a brittle star, as it can out of the rock this evening. Rather than having 1 though, I seem to have 8-10 of them. Does anyone have any idea if that will be an issue? Some of them are reasonably big...They range from about 3 cm across, up to, I'd guess, 8cm. Anyone know if they'll be an issue later?

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Yeah... Hopefully :)

I've definitely identified the tentacle monster as a brittle star, as it can out of the rock this evening. Rather than having 1 though, I seem to have 8-10 of them. Does anyone have any idea if that will be an issue? Some of them are reasonably big...They range from about 3 cm across, up to, I'd guess, 8cm. Anyone know if they'll be an issue later?
The bristle stars will be fine unless of course their green. The green ones can get quite large and sometimes snack on fish.

I know you said you were gonna get more rock but I quite like the 1 rock theme you got going. Like a nice little ocean bommie! Just a thought :D
IMG_2059.JPG

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
The bristle stars will be fine unless of course their green. The green ones can get quite large and sometimes snack on fish.

I know you said you were gonna get more rock but I quite like the 1 rock theme you got going. Like a nice little ocean bommie! Just a thought :D
View attachment 56501
I'm of two minds... We'll have to see how I feel as the tank progresses.