Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Jebao Wireless Rw-20 Review
I started to notice there was a few dead spots in my tank so I decided to get two of the new Jebao RW-20 pumps from fish-street.com
The intention was to have these running along side my two Tunze 6105 pumps on my 6 x 2.5 x 2.

Firstly, I have found fish-street great to deal with and their communication is great.
The only slight hiccup was that I specified Aus plugs when I ordered, but they were supplied with a different type. I won't cut the plugs off and replace with Aus plugs just for warranty purposes.

First impression. Holy crap can these push some water! Even on the lowest setting they absolutely blow my Tunze pumps away! If i get near full power it starts making waves over the side of my tank :eek
The pumps have been running for about 24 hours so far.
Here is the features the website states about the pump, and my findings.
  • 8 Different Flow Rate (2500 - 20000Litres)
It says as low as 2500 but the lowest setting still puts out more flow than my Tunze on full power.
  • Super Silent. The Rubber is Base on FS Series to Design (100% smaller sound than Vortech)
Not even close to super silent. Actually it was quite loud at first, but after 12 hours they were noticeably quieter. Still not silent though and louder than the Tunze.
  • Wireless Controller to connect Master / Slave Pump
I find that this must run on the same frequency as something else in the house because the two controllers have to be next to each other to stay connected, I will do some investigating to find out what it is.

*Edit* So I tried it again with the controllers apart and its working now. I'm not sure why it didn't work in the first place.

• Can Standalone Operation on One Pump or Wireless
I don't actually understand this one :confused:
  • Easy installation and maintenance.
The only thing is that when you stick the pump to the side of the glass, it tends to slide down a few CM before I can get to the side of the tank to put the magnet on the outside. The magnet holds strong on 10mm glass.
  • Magnetic bracket
Yep.
  • Night sensor - automatically detects when tank lights go out and slows the pump.
Works well, reverts to H mode where the pumps are constantly on the lowest setting.
  • One-touch feed mode - slows pump for a period of 10 minutes.
Does what it says.
  • High performance, powerful, water flow combined with low energy consumption.
Can't argue with that.
  • Ceramic shaft for long life and durability
We will see I guess!
  • Intelligent control system to generate various wave patterns to suit your tank.
This works well but isn't anything new over Tunze or Vortech.
  • Extra-long cable for ease and comfort of placement, even on larger tanks.
I find the cable WAY to short. The pump only has about 1.5m of cable and then the controller has to attach to it. I like to have all my controllers together, so there is no chance of this happening if I want a pump at each end of a 6ft tank. This also adds to the wireless problem above since I cant have the controllers together.
The actual power cable is fairly long.
You can buy extension cables on the fish-street website.

• Low voltage, safe, reliable power supply. Suitable for freshwater and saltwater
The power supply is 24v. There is an option to buy an extra power supply which you can select your voltage starting at 12v up to 24v. It would be nice if this was the standard one that came with the pump.

Here are some pics comparing it next to a Tunze 6105 with a 6205 shroud. (includes the outside magnet)

20141014_165627.jpg

20141014_165719.jpg

20141014_165703.jpg

Controllers and the different modes.
Here is what the fish-street website states.

W1:Wave Mode
Remoting the knob is necessary when operate this mode to adjust the wave patterns among one or more pumps at the same time. As the volum of water in tank is different from the capacity of the tank, wave period needed to be adjusted by switching the knob. The wave is biggest when wave length turn to be same as the length of tank; Increase the wave length by switching the knob in clockwise, and reduce in anti clockwise.
Tips: You should switch the knob gradually and notice the wave pattern in a certain period after each adjustment.Press “SPEED/FEED”to adjust the flow rate.

This is the mode I am using for my tank, it makes a nice wave through the tank and makes the coral sway. The pumps just turn on and off at whatever interval you set.

W2: Sine Mode
One or more pumps can operate at the same time in this mode. The power various between 30%-100% and the regulation looks like a sine curve.

One pump is on 100% and the other is 30% and they just alternate at the timing you set. Its too powerful for my tank so I haven't used it much.

Else: Random Mode
One or more pumps can operate at the same time. It is a random mode as the power of pump is changing to a random data all the time without regulation.
This is a really nice mode, the only downfall is that you cant set the maximum power that the mode will go to. Good for clearing out all the detritus out of your low flow areas. Again, its too powerful for me.

H:Flow Mode
One or more pumps can operate at the same time. In constant flow. Flow rate can be adjusted by “SPEED/FEED”

Just a basic 'on' mode. You just set the power and the pump constantly stays on it. Also, when night mode activates it automatically goes to this mode on the lowest setting, The light sensor on the controller is pretty sensitive.

C: Shift to flow mode
Two pumps are needed to be operated at the same time, when they shift wave and flow in cycles. P1 work, P2 stop;P2 work, P1 stop;P1 work, P2 stop. and cycles like this. Cycle period (1s-1min)can by adjusted by switching the knob and adjust the flow rate by pressing SPEED/FEED.

This is also the feed button, I thought the pump was automatically meant to come back on after 10 minutes but it didn't for me.

Controller in Master mode.

20141014_193044.jpg

Controller in Slave mode

20141014_193016.jpg

The controllers are small and easy to use and look well built. There is also an option to lock the settings so people can't fiddle!

Would I buy these again if I could go back in time? Yep! But I would go for the RW-15. The RW-20 is way overkill for a 6ft tank but works fine on its lowest setting. If I can sort the wireless thing out then I wont have any problem with these pumps (looks to be working great now!).
I think I will buy the switchable power supplys since they are $10 each. Then I can run the pumps at 12v and use all the other modes.
For two pumps and two controllers for far less money than a single Tunze 6105 you can't really beat it for value.
I have removed the Tunze pumps from my tank now as they are not needed.
If you have anymore questions then ask away, I will do my best to answer.

Last edited:

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
My rw8s were also very noisy at first, ramping up/down or pulsing, but it seems over time to have worn in and is now dead silent, even right next to it I can't hear a thing

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
My rw8s were also very noisy at first, ramping up/down or pulsing, but it seems over time to have worn in and is now dead silent, even right next to it I can't hear a thing
That's great. I was hoping this would be the case.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
WOW - finally a review of the Tunze and the copies. Great to hear you find them so good. I have always been a little suspicious of peoples reviews saying these things push water (when compared to what ??) when it's their first wave maker, but you have put it head to head with something I know moves water and you are impressed. That's a serious tick.

Any chance of the RW20 and 6105 side by side in one of the pic's top come? To be fair on performance I don't think the 6105 is the right model, but using the 6205 or larger is pushing the price on Tunze wayyyy up so even more power to the Jebao's.

Be interesting to see if they quiet down even more over the days/weeks to come as pumps can take a while to "run in".

Thumbs up for the review and thumbs up for the pumps it would seem.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
WOW - finally a review of the Tunze and the copies. Great to hear you find them so good. I have always been a little suspicious of peoples reviews saying these things push water (when compared to what ??) when it's their first wave maker, but you have put it head to head with something I know moves water and you are impressed. That's a serious tick.

Any chance of the RW20 and 6105 side by side in one of the pic's top come? To be fair on performance I don't think the 6105 is the right model, but using the 6205 or larger is pushing the price on Tunze wayyyy up so even more power to the Jebao's.

Be interesting to see if they quiet down even more over the days/weeks to come as pumps can take a while to "run in".

Thumbs up for the review and thumbs up for the pumps it would seem.
Yeah I think it would be fairer to compare them to a Tunze 6205 too.
I will get pics of exactly that tonight :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Nice review, thanks.

Are the propellers a similar size? Or does the extra flow from the Jabao come from the more open grill?

One thing I have always wanted for my Tunze pumps is the ability to cycle through a few of the Wave modes rather than just stay with one - it seems that the Jabao is no different.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Nice review, thanks.

Are the propellers a similar size? Or does the extra flow from the Jabao come from the more open grill?

One thing I have always wanted for my Tunze pumps is the ability to cycle through a few of the Wave modes rather than just stay with one - it seems that the Jabao is no different.
The propeller is a bit larger and the grill is much more open on the Jebao. It gives a really wide flow.
You are correct, I can't cycle through the modes. It would be nice though!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Nice review, thanks.

I found this that can apparently do what you are asking. http://www.joejaworski.com/jebao/details.html
I might order the bluetooth version in the next couple of weeks as the price seems alright.

On another note, I got my 12v power supplies and things are much quieter and better :)

Last edited: