Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Leaking Pipe
Hi I have a leak in my return pipe on the join, what is safe to repair this with please

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
what material is it? Where exactly is the leak? If it is just hose, replace the hose. If it is PVC, replace the PVC, if it is at a join, it could be something else.

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
Are you certain it’s leaking and not just being dripped on? That piece of pipe is really solid, I don’t think it’s actually separate either. Because I use filter socks under the blue pipe, little movements I make gradually loosen the entire pipe from the point where it connects under the display.

I had a leak from the connection that attaches to the overflow pipe. It took someone holding the overflow in the weir still, then using a plumber’s rubber pipe tightening/loosening tool to get the big blue fastener back to a tighter position.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
is that the return line or the drain line? Is it actually glued?
No it is not glued, It is the pipe that that takes the water from the tank down in to sock, there is a join there and has a very slow drip, there is salt build up on it

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah ok, if it is the drain line it shouldn't need glue as it isn't really under pressure. I would take it off, clean it all up, pop back on and see if you can see exactly where the leak is coming from. My guess would be the bulkhead above it that is dripping on it

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
yeah ok, if it is the drain line it shouldn't need glue as it isn't really under pressure. I would take it off, clean it all up, pop back on and see if you can see exactly where the leak is coming from. My guess would be the bulkhead above it that is dripping on it
Thanks What glue would be safe?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
PVC glue, but as mentioned - I wouldn't think it will need to be glued as it is not under any pressure.

The bulkhead where I suspect it is leaking from, will just need to be clean and nipped up by hand on the rubber gasket

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
PVC glue, but as mentioned - I wouldn't think it will need to be glued as it is not under any pressure.

The bulkhead where I suspect it is leaking from, will just need to be clean and nipped up by hand on the rubber gasket
I can not see anything coming from the bulk head

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
fair enough, is unusual for a pipe under no pressure to leak like that - but not impossible. Should be fairly easy to remove that section and make a replacement at a local plumbing store

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I think as others have said above, it looks like the water is dropping down from above.

Is that black wire acting as a siphon?

Anyway, if you do have a leak in the lower blue pipe and want to seal it, I think you might be able to use Aqua Knead It, which you can get from Bunnings.

It says it can't be used on
Polyethylene, but it doesn't say it can't be used on PVC, which is what that blue pipe is made from.

I would roll a bit of Aqua Knead It putty and squash it onto the spot and see if that works. Hold it there with some tape for maybe half an hour. After that it will be rock hard. You can chip it off if you need to remove it later.

Firstly though, do as others have said above, stop the flow, take off that piece of pipe and clean the inside areas where the pipes stick together as all sort of crap might be in there causing it not to seal and thus leak. Probably home to bristleworms. If it is just the occasional drop it might be water seeping through the dirty joint and mostly evaporating leaving salt residues.

IMO every salt water aquarist should have Aqua Knead It on hand for all sorts of jobs.

Last edited:

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Personally, all PVC should be glued. If you think you might need to remove it at some time, put a union in.
Yeah, but I agree with what Sam said that if it's not under pressure, i.e. a downpipes, it should be OK and by not gluing it you can take it off to clean inside more easily.