Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Long Tentacles Helofungia Common?
I saw a guy selling his pink plate coral and the tentacles are just amazzzing ... it's like big huge anemone trying to hug the ocean.

Is this kind of coral quite common in Aussie LFS? in his tank, he got his mounted on live rock looking really nice as his centerpiece.

E

ezza

Heliofungia are definitely relatively common. They are usual green or purple in colour so a pink one is probably somewhat rare. I have had a couple, they're like hammers/torches etc but they can wander on the substrate.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Heliofungia are definitely relatively common. They are usual green or purple in colour so a pink one is probably somewhat rare. I have had a couple, they're like hammers/torches etc but they can wander on the substrate.
Owww these things move? the thing with these things in LFS, they hardly showing their long tentacles hence they looking kinda dull.

There's also short tentacles one too, so need to make myself aware on which one is which one.

Is it easy to make them fully blown inflated looking like big anemone @ezza ?

E

ezza

Owww these things move? the thing with these things in LFS, they hardly showing their long tentacles hence they looking kinda dull.

There's also short tentacles one too, so need to make myself aware on which one is which one.

Is it easy to make them fully blown inflated looking like big anemone @ezza ?
Like hammers and torches, you just have to give them conditions they favour. If they are happy with light/flow/nutrition, they will open and display well. They are known to move on the substrate to find ideal habitat. It might not, especially if you stick it to something.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The long tentacled helio's will expand a lot when happy, and will require a fair amount of real estate in your tank. Allow an area around 3 to4 times the size of the base - but also be aware that, as mentioned by @ezza, they can move by inflating the polyp with water.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
The long tentacled helio's will expand a lot when happy, and will require a fair amount of real estate in your tank. Allow an area around 3 to4 times the size of the base - but also be aware that, as mentioned by @ezza, they can move by inflating the polyp with water.
Yeaaaah well aware of that .. but also need something to fill up the tank ... i'm just .. i guess you can say that I've failed to make those corals bigger and fatter .. they stick to their sizes .... so i'm doing the shortcut .. getting the bigger piece.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Why not post a pic of your tank and we can make suggestions?
@Savage Henry

Front view
ai.imgur.com_afAfSwJ.jpg

Left view

ai.imgur.com_7DJvDiU.jpg

Right view (look a tad distorted skewed)
ai.imgur.com_DqKXhnY.jpg

Top view (not the best pic but hope you get the idea)
ai.imgur.com_cJIynrm.jpg

Ok that Acro is goneski ... middle left shiny green ... no more SPS, got no time to maintain hehehe

So agree that it's too emptyyyyy ? I think to fill this tank up, I be needing approx. good $500 - $700 ... that number is just a forecast ... i just plug it somewhere out of no where .. but i guess it's going to be expensive.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I assume you are looking to put the fungia in the front/middle? If so, I don't think that space would be big enough, and it would block the central opening that you currently have in your aquascape, which I quite like.

Personally, I would look at some of the soft corals - a green Sinularia Finger Leather Coral would be relatively cheap and would look great at the back/right - something like this (and they grow quickly)

asaltyunderground.com_images_IMG_3634.JPG

And, maybe a couple of nice Goniopora's in the central area. At the moment you don't look to have much movement in your tank - both of these corals will move with the water currents and create a nice effect.

And, I don't think you need to be spending anything like $500 - $700 to fill this tank.

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Agree with magic. Plus it's a low maintenance coral, always a plus when you're time poor. :rolleyes

The other thing is that well looked after Helios grow huge, and would look out of place in your tank if that happens. Just something to consider.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. :)

Angie

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
That Tang looks like my old Lavender Tang. Does it have orange spots on its face?

On Sinularia, it's a coral I really like, but it can grow big. Not sure if people cut it back when this happens?

I would consider more live rock, especially if you were to consider adding additional fish in future. What do other think?