Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Metal Halide
Hey guys. I have been thinking lately about replacing my Cree LED lighting which has had a few different forms over the last 5-6 years. It is currently 2x 150mm heatsinks with approx 12-14 LEDs each in various 3w colours.
A few of the LEDs have died (mainly the UV) and I just think it is time for something different.

I put my energy cost meter on my LEDs and it is drawing 310w at 100% and about 100w during sunrise/sunset. Seems like a lot for such a small light.

Anyways I was thinking of swapping to a 250w metal halide but I need advice as I have never used one.
Tank size is Cade HL800 800(L) x 600 (W) x 550 (H)

I do like a sightly bluer light so would 14k or 20k be better? Which pendant/globe/ballast to use? What should I be paying?
Do they dim or just on/off? I will make a small LED with my typhon for sunrise/sunset anyway. I am also happy saving some money going second hand if that(keeping cost down is preferred!)

When it comes to livestock, will a 250w light on this tank size give me the options for sps and clams?
I have had a Magnifica anemone under my LEDs for the past couple of years an it seems happy but I wouldn't say its thriving.

I don't think heat will be an issue as I will be running evap cooling anyway.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
250w single ended radium 20k bulb would be the go. Magnetic ballast and a basic pendulum would be sweet.

I have a couple spare here (complete combos) if you wanted to try it out or make me an offer :)

Sam

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Halides are great but don't dim very well from memory. Slow start up times, but I don't think this matters. Also, off is instant so you will need the LED's on before lights out.

I always went for a 12k - 14k bulb. I found the 20K a little to blue for me, however it's a personal thing.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
They don’t dim at all. Take about 5-10mins to warm up and do switch off completely.

Normally I’d say 20k is way too blue, but I don’t think the radiums are actually that colour, more like a 16-17k to my eye

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I will probably just make a string of blue and white LEDs on a little heatsink and plug it in to my typhon controller and that will be good enough for sunrise and sunset.
I don't mind a bluer look but I can always swap out the globe if its too much.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I am sure that I will be out numbered here , But I love my Giesemann infiniti , it has 2x250 MH + 4 t5s.
I have added some led for moon light.
The MH are double ended witch is against the grain however I love these globes
https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=5817&catID=66

While these globes are more expensive they have a 2.5 year life span apposed to 9 months
(correct me if I am wrong on the life span of other globes)

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I am sure that I will be out numbered here , But I love my Giesemann infiniti , it has 2x250 MH + 4 t5s.

While these globes are more expensive they have a 2.5 year life span apposed to 9 months
correction , according to this site its 3 years ... depends on how long you run them I guess

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/175-giesemann-megachrome-crystal-150-watt-de-halide-bulb.html

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012

Those look great and I would LOVE a light like that but its so far beyond my budget that I can't even consider it unfortunately.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If you wanna see that Ritteri go frickin' nuts, slap a metal halide on there. Build a rock pinnacle in the tank and put a halide over it, it'll be in seventh heaven. I keep waiting for mine to split but it hasn't. there's a guy down in Baltimore and his splits 2 times a year. He and I both use the cheap 20k bulbs off Aliexpress. They're not super blue and everything grows under them, my Fiji green leathers have spawned twice now.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Hey @ReeferRob , @Sam Parker sorted me out with a metal halide and I am hanging it over the tank this weekend. Has a Radium 250w 20k bulb. Its a nice colour, not too blue at all. Just need to figure out how high I need to hang it above the tank.
Just modding my LEDS to be sunrise/sunset only. I am already seeing some little yellow tips on the Ritteri that the LEDS didn't show!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Hey @ReeferRob , @Sam Parker sorted me out with a metal halide and I am hanging it over the tank this weekend. Has a Radium 250w 20k bulb. Its a nice colour, not too blue at all. Just need to figure out how high I need to hang it above the tank.
Just modding my LEDS to be sunrise/sunset only. I am already seeing some little yellow tips on the Ritteri that the LEDS didn't show!
If you can, start a little higher and bring it down till you find the sweet spot. I have mine about 15cm off the tank, but I started about 25-30cm off the tank.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have it mounted about 500mm over the tank at the moment and I will slowly lower it from there.
150mm seems like it would cook the tank haha, the light bulb gets damn hot!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Did you get some glass for the unit? If not, keep it high till you do, a little splash onto a piping hot bulb equals a large bang!

Glad you like it though, once I had setup a radium halide - I couldn't go back :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Like I said in my anemone write up, a ritteri would be happy in a washing machine on the surface of the sun. You can almost hear it saying nom nom nom, lol. I'm afraid of breaking the tank if I drop it down any lower or it would be down in the 100-120mm range.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Did you get some glass for the unit? If not, keep it high till you do, a little splash onto a piping hot bulb equals a large bang!

Glad you like it though, once I had setup a radium halide - I couldn't go back :)
Yeah had a bit laying around that I cut to size, I think its 3 or 4mm thick

Like I said in my anemone write up, a ritteri would be happy in a washing machine on the surface of the sun. You can almost hear it saying nom nom nom, lol. I'm afraid of breaking the tank if I drop it down any lower or it would be down in the 100-120mm range.
Well my nem has certainly looked a lot more puffed up and "plump" looking since I put the new light on! I am also seeing some yellow tips on it that the LEDs didn't show.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I've yet to see a ritteri do well under LED lighting. I've tried all sorts of spectrums and after a month, I move them back to a halide lit tank due to them shrinking. I've even tried a freshwater light over one of the tanks in the shop and same thing, they start to shrink down and generally look like shit.