Metal Halide

Discussion in 'Equipment / DIY / Reviews' started by Buddy, Apr 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,617
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    Hey guys. I have been thinking lately about replacing my Cree LED lighting which has had a few different forms over the last 5-6 years. It is currently 2x 150mm heatsinks with approx 12-14 LEDs each in various 3w colours.
    A few of the LEDs have died (mainly the UV) and I just think it is time for something different.

I put my energy cost meter on my LEDs and it is drawing 310w at 100% and about 100w during sunrise/sunset. Seems like a lot for such a small light.

Anyways I was thinking of swapping to a 250w metal halide but I need advice as I have never used one.
    Tank size is Cade HL800 800(L) x 600 (W) x 550 (H)

I do like a sightly bluer light so would 14k or 20k be better? Which pendant/globe/ballast to use? What should I be paying?
    Do they dim or just on/off? I will make a small LED with my typhon for sunrise/sunset anyway. I am also happy saving some money going second hand if that(keeping cost down is preferred!)

When it comes to livestock, will a 250w light on this tank size give me the options for sps and clams?
    I have had a Magnifica anemone under my LEDs for the past couple of years an it seems happy but I wouldn't say its thriving.

I don't think heat will be an issue as I will be running evap cooling anyway.
  2. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,769
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    250w single ended radium 20k bulb would be the go. Magnetic ballast and a basic pendulum would be sweet.

I have a couple spare here (complete combos) if you wanted to try it out or make me an offer :)

Sam
    • Cheers! Cheers! x 1
  3. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,617
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    PM sent!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. macca_75

macca_75 Member

Ratings:
    +1,209
    Australia
    State:
    Vic
    Halides are great but don't dim very well from memory. Slow start up times, but I don't think this matters. Also, off is instant so you will need the LED's on before lights out.

I always went for a 12k - 14k bulb. I found the 20K a little to blue for me, however it's a personal thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,769
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    They don’t dim at all. Take about 5-10mins to warm up and do switch off completely.

Normally I’d say 20k is way too blue, but I don’t think the radiums are actually that colour, more like a 16-17k to my eye
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,617
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    I will probably just make a string of blue and white LEDs on a little heatsink and plug it in to my typhon controller and that will be good enough for sunrise and sunset.
    I don't mind a bluer look but I can always swap out the globe if its too much.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RobbieMVFC

RobbieMVFC Member

Ratings:
    +1,057
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    I am sure that I will be out numbered here , But I love my Giesemann infiniti , it has 2x250 MH + 4 t5s.
    I have added some led for moon light.
    The MH are double ended witch is against the grain however I love these globes
    https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=5817&catID=66

While these globes are more expensive they have a 2.5 year life span apposed to 9 months
    (correct me if I am wrong on the life span of other globes)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RobbieMVFC

RobbieMVFC Member

Ratings:
    +1,057
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    correction , according to this site its 3 years ... depends on how long you run them I guess

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/175-giesemann-megachrome-crystal-150-watt-de-halide-bulb.html
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,617
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    Those look great and I would LOVE a light like that but its so far beyond my budget that I can't even consider it unfortunately.
  10. RobbieMVFC

RobbieMVFC Member

Ratings:
    +1,057
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    If you spend the money you can grow sps frags on the sand bed to help fund it.
    PS. I purchased my light second hand....[

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018