Tank Journal Archive

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Mitras Mounting
After a dodgy install on my existing light frame last October I finally got around to a better installation. I used to have a single square tube "bar" which straddled across the frame and had them hanging off this.

The new idea was to simply place 2 angled aluminium lengths where the lights simply fit in. The angle is 40mm wide so hides the mitras and matches the T slot frame of my light frame. Action Aluminum in Greens rd Dandenong <$20 for 3m of 40x25x3mm angle.

Im really happy with the finish, the actuated light frame is total overkill however it was initially holding a 54W ATI PowerModule. No need for the frame to go up/down anymore with the smaller Mitras. The frame maybe a little high now as its lowest position is 240mm from surface so may reduce this, or just switch my lights across to high intensity.

I will attach a zip-tie through a slot in the body and to the frame. just in case they ever get dislodged although they are a tight fit. I cannot see this ever happening however with two teenages in the house with flying objects who knows what could hit it in the future,,,,, soccer ball :eek

Sorry for the ipad pics... but it shows the frame

IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Your tank is great, but your pics are crap. Don't appoligise for the iPad photos - break the Nikkon out and get some real drool pics going.

You have time :p

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Ok @macca_75 you are correct.. Im off to find that thread I read years ago on how to take a aquarium pic with a DSLR.. Think it was on reefcentral but if anybody knows what Im talking about PM me the link...

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You better hide that big green leather when I come down there or it might get smuggled back to the States. :D

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
The proud owner of a third mitras, albeit second hand :)
Will just sit into the frame so easy install. I only run the lights in eco mode anyway however this will allow lights to be pushed to the ends of the tank to enable a few more sps to be introduced into the scape.

Its been 18 months since i made a significant hardware upgrade.

Its been soo long since i setup the lights however in theory i set it to slave mode and it follows the profilux master.

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Ok @macca_75 you are correct.. Im off to find that thread I read years ago on how to take a aquarium pic with a DSLR.. Think it was on reefcentral but if anybody knows what Im talking about PM me the link...
Still waiting for the pics.....