Reef Discussion

Jarryd

Dec 31, 2011
Perth
Mixing Red Sea Foundation
Hi guys,

I've recently changed from the liquid to the powder forms of red seas foundation elements. I've mixed up a batch of foundation C to the stock form and its not all dissolving. I want to use it in my auto doser. Any suggestions?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Foundation C is the magnesium supplement I believe ... if so, this should mix up relatively easily. I would have expected more issues with Foundation B, or the alk supplement.

You can try warming the water a bit before mixing or shaking the container for a bit longer ;)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Am I wrong in thinking you shouldn't use the powder form in dosers? Or is that just the ABC+?>
Not really any different to using Randy's Recipe - once it is in solution it tends to stay there (there is probably a scientific way of saying that but you get what I mean :)) .

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Just Googled it - can't mix the ABC+ powder for dosing (not sure why), but you can the A, B and C separately.

Jarryd

Dec 31, 2011
Perth
The chemical reaction between the magnesium powder and RODI water generates plenty of heat. Warm enough to be a cuppa! I'll manual dose until i need to mix some more and try a different method